Thread: Boot manager

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The other day I - fortunately - created a boot disk with the full version of Macrium which I had to use the next day, hence the word fortunately. When I boot I now have two options. One to boot to windows 7 and the other to the boot disk. I would like to remove the second option in the boot load. Because there are two options the original boot loading file is no longer available in msconfig. I downloaded Easy BCD - http://neosmart.net/thankyou.php?app=EasyBCD - which gives me the option of creating a new MBR. This is where my confidence evaporates. Should I just leave things as they are or should I use this program? I cannot edit directly the original boot file because it has disappeared. TIA

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    EasyBCD should have access to the boot menu. Do the two options show up when you click on the Edit Boot Menu toolbox option in EasyBCD?
    If so, all that needs to be done is highlight the one for removal and click on delete.
    Or you could also change the Tineout option to just skip the boot menu and go directly to booting into the default entry (be sure its the right one if you do that).

You shouldn't have to write anything because one of the entries you want is already there so you might have to be more clear on exactly where the entries do not show up because it seems you are seeing both at some point.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback. They don't show up in the program or in Msconfig. Elsewhere I get a warning that they have been altered and words to the effect that they aren't available for editing because there has been a change. I have two options when booting. One is the normal boot to Windows and the other to use Macrium boot disk. Obviously I would like to get rid of the latter in order to get a "clean" boot but it isn't the end of the world if I can't. Is it a permissions thing?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    EasyBCD \ Useful Utilities \ System Restore might be worth a try.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I don't think it is a big problem so I will leave it because I can manually choose which one or leave it to count down to make the choice to boot to the Windows system. It is one of the slightly annoying things you wonder about instead of fretting and tearing your hair out.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have now realised that in Msconfig there aren't any Safe boot options to tick that I can use because there isn't any options listed. I tried it as Administrator.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I now realise that the rescue cd I used altered the MBR. I came across this.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ot-record.html

It looks like I can use this method to do what I want but on reflection I will leave all well alone because I can boot from Windows normally or use the rescue cd or Windows DVD if necessary in future. The remaining problem is that I can't safe boot via msconfig but I can still safe boot via start up and f8.