Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello: one of our paralegals has given me a template she is using. She has created custom styles to use as part of her Table of Contents.
    Problem is when we go to create the TOC, we cannot see her custom styles.
    I cannot figure out why we cannot see the TOC1, TOC2 etc custom styles when generating a Table of Contents.
    Anyone know? I've attached a document based on the template.

Thanks for your help!!

Charlotte
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Char Q
    Pacific NW

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Charlotte,

Although there's a page in the document with a 'Table of Contents' on it, that 'Table of Contents' isn't created with a TOC field and I can't see anything in the document that it might refer to. It would also be helpful if you said with Styles the 'Table of Contents' is meant to pick up.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    TOC1, etc., are built-in styles that are by default hidden. You can expose them by going to manage styles > commend tab and changing the status from "Hide" to "Show".

It appears that you are manually preparing the TOCs instead of using Word's feature for this. This article may help you decide what is best for your documents: http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...fcontents.html

Pam
    Pam Caswell

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    Hi Charlotte,

Although there's a page in the document with a 'Table of Contents' on it, that 'Table of Contents' isn't created with a TOC field and I can't see anything in the document that it might refer to. It would also be helpful if you said with Styles the 'Table of Contents' is meant to pick up.

I am not using TOC fields to create the TOC...I want to use styles. That is why there are no TOC fields in the document.
    Lately I am finding that TOC fields are more helpful than styles...but not in this document.
    Thanks.
    Char Q
    Pacific NW

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PamCaswell View Post
    TOC1, etc., are built-in styles that are by default hidden. You can expose them by going to manage styles > commend tab and changing the status from "Hide" to "Show".

It appears that you are manually preparing the TOCs instead of using Word's feature for this. This article may help you decide what is best for your documents: http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...fcontents.html

Pam
    Pam, thanks so much. It never occured to me that you could have a hidden style.
    The TOC in the document is just a "place holder" it isn't meant to be the actual TOC.

I did go into the style manager and made sure each TOC style is set to "show". Where it is not showing is when I click on Reference| Insert Contents | Table of Contents.
    I'm basing this TOC on styles. Here is a screen shot of the available Styles...TOC styles are not there.....

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Char Q
    Pacific NW

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte Quiroz View Post
    Pam, thanks so much. It never occured to me that you could have a hidden style.
    The TOC in the document is just a "place holder" it isn't meant to be the actual TOC.

I did go into the style manager and made sure each TOC style is set to "show". Where it is not showing is when I click on Reference| Insert Contents | Table of Contents.
    I'm basing this TOC on styles. Here is a screen shot of the available Styles...TOC styles are not there.....

One more piece of information...this is a numbering style.

Thanks
    Char Q
    Pacific NW

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    I am not using TOC fields to create the TOC...I want to use styles. That is why there are no TOC fields in the document.
    Lately I am finding that TOC fields are more helpful than styles...but not in this document.
    Thanks.
    Hi 'Charlotte,

TOC fields can be used to build a 'Table of Contents' from any nominated Styles. Using them that way obviates the need to build all the TOC components manually - which is what you're now doing.

Having said that, I note that your document has numerous MERGEFIELDs, which suggests you're trying to create a letter-type mailmerge with a 'Table of Contents'. If you're creating more than one 'letter', your various Tables of Contents may not ultimately reflect what you intend them to.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    TOC styles are used to format the TOC itself. So you will not find them in the list of styles whose content Word gathers into a TOC.

Instead choose the heading styles you use to mark (that is, delineate the heading structure) and format your text. If your brief example shows the styles you are using, you will need to reformat your text so that you are using three heading styles (say, Headings 1, 2, and 3), and then when you set up the multilevel numbering, link the heading styles to the appropriate list levels. Once the text is appropriately styled, the TOC should be easy.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to add something to Pam's response - even if you're using your own styles rather than Word's own heading styles, you can get the TOC tool to treat them as if they were heading styles by setting the Outline level for each style. You can set that by going to Format, Paragraph (or equivalent in later versions) and setting your main heading style as Outline Level 1 and so on.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosoft Mike View Post
    Just to add something to Pam's response - even if you're using your own styles rather than Word's own heading styles, you can get the TOC tool to treat them as if they were heading styles by setting the Outline level for each style. You can set that by going to Format, Paragraph (or equivalent in later versions) and setting your main heading style as Outline Level 1 and so on.

This is not the way I would have set this up if they had asked me in the beginning...now I'm trying to make their "stuff" work. Rosoft Mike: Setting the outline style worked...thank you.
    PS. The merge fields is because this template will work with their practice management software...just so ya know.
    Thank you all for your suggestions.

Charlotte
    Char Q
    Pacific NW

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is not the way I would have set this up if they had asked me in the beginning...now I'm trying to make their "stuff" work. Rosoft Mike: Setting the outline style worked...thank you.
    PS. The merge fields is because this template will work with their practice management software...just so ya know.
    Thank you all for your suggestions.

Oh, one last question....any way to set the default for TOC options to NOT use Heading styles?

Charlotte
    Char Q
    Pacific NW

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, everyone
    I don't if this what charlotte asked, but can anyone tell how do I create the TOC in such a way that the entries in it are written with my own custom styles.
    I am aware that you can modify the TOC1, TOC2, etc. when you go to Insert Table of Contents >> click the Modify button highlight the TOC you want and click modify again, except that I do not want to modify any of them I simply want my custom style to be used instead of them.
    Also, on the same dialog box (screen) there are two buttons: New and Delete. I suppose these will allow me to do exactly what I want but the problem is that
    they are both disabled.

Any help would be nice.
    Last edited by danielW; 2011-12-22 at 07:58.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't think you can build a TOC using other styles from 'TOC n' but you can determine which source style uses which TOC n style.

For instance, if your TOC field code looks like the following, the top three headings will all appear in the TOC using TOC 1 and the Normal style will also appear in the TOC using TOC 2

{TOC \t "Heading 1,1,Heading 2,1,Heading 3,1,Normal,2"}

The \t switch works with pairs stylename,level,stylename,level etc
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks
    AFAIK you cannot generate an automatic table of contents using anything other than the built-in TOC styles. You can use the replace function to replace the formatting from a TOC1 style to MYSTYLE1 if you want once the TOC is generated. It would be easier, though, to modify the TOC styles.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why wouldn't you want to just modify the TOC styles? I prefer to keep the built-in style names whenever possible and just modify their definitions.

For managing the TOC styles, a better place to get at style modifications than the table of contents dialog is via the Modify Style dialog: if the style shows in the ribbon, right-click it and choose "Modify..."; if not, click the small boxed arrow in the lower right corner of the style pane to bring up the Styles list, and then right-click the style name to choose "Modify...". The resulting dialog gives you full access to all format settings available to manage the style.

One thing I would strongly recommend is to turn off the "Automatically update" setting: with it on (the default), you lose control because if a change is made to the format of a paragraph tagged with the style, it results in the style definition being changed. If you want stability, turn it off.

Also danielW, the Styles list provides 3 buttons in the lower left: New, Style Inspector, and Manage Styles. The first allows you to create a new style; the latter two offer a wealth of detail for working with styles -- IMHO, the most powerful and least-understood part of Word.