5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've just started using Office 2010, after have a lot of experience in Office 2007.

I understood that Word 2007 and Word 2010 used the same document format. But when I open a document or template in 2010 that I created in 2007, the application caption indicates "Compatibility Mode". I can live with this, but I'm wondering what the difference is.

If Word 2010 is already open and I select, say, 5 documents in Windows Explore, then right-click and choose Open, Word launches again (I see the splash screen), creating a new instance for most of the documents. With my example of 5 documents, I would get 2 documents in one instance of Word, plus 3 more documents, each in a separate instance of Word. I determine that this is a separate instance because the Switch Windows feature lists only one document. Actually, each separate instance has one of my documents plus a blank document.

I haven't installed SP2. Perhaps this would take care of this?

Thanks,
    Richard

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by richardbarrett View Post
    I understood that Word 2007 and Word 2010 used the same document format. But when I open a document or template in 2010 that I created in 2007, the application caption indicates "Compatibility Mode". I can live with this, but I'm wondering what the difference is.
    Do the files created with 2007 have a doc or docx extension? The docx format started with 2007, but maybe your copy of 2007 was creating documents in the older doc format?
    My copy of 2010 display 'compatability mode' when I open a doc, but not when I open a docx.
    Regards
    John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The documents created in Word 2007 are docx, and the templates are dotm. If I modify and Save in 2010, "compatibility mode" continues to display, even after closing and re-opening. If I SaveAs, I no longer see "compatibility mode". I don't have to change the document type or anything on the SaveAs dialog box, but I do see the warning about saving in a different format. I see "compatibility mode" even with dotm template that have RibbonX code as a component.

Are you using SP2 or the original release of Office 2010?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The W2007 compatibility mode in W2010 prevents you from using W2010 features that won't work in W2007.

When I had both O2007 and O2010 beta, Word kept the W2007 normal.dotm, and all my new docs were created in the compatibility mode. After I renamed normal, Word created a new W 2010 normal.dotm and then all new docs were then also 2010 files. Of course, files created in 2007 also open in compatibility mode.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I see. Compatibility mode in O 2007 was indicated the difference between compressed format, DOCX, and old-style documents, DOC. In O 2010, even a DOCX document can be compatibility mode because of features not available in previous versions. I clicked on the File tab, and then the Convert button at the top. Now my DOCX document is a 2010 document, as opposed to a 2007 DOCX document.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Right. Though actually in both cases, it prevents you from using features in the newer version that won't be properly rendered (or executed, or whatever) in earlier ones. I think it's one of the unsung features of W2007/10. If you need to roundtrip files to people who are using older versions, staying in the compatibility mode will prevent things like using W2010's checkbox content control, which W2007 doesn't have, or applying themes in 2007/10, which W97-2003 can't recognize. Of course it doesn't catch everything: 2007/10 equations turn into images in W2003, for example.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I hadn't yet noticed the checkbox content control in 2010. I'm glad that's available now.

Richard