Thanks
    Is there any value in running defrag utilities with an SSD? It seems to me the re-writing will simply reduce the life of the SSD and do virtually nothing in terms of making it any faster. Am I correct?

(Edit: Corrected typo in Thread title)
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    I would agree - the same applies to USB Flash drives...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    I would not defrag an SSD. BTW, here is an interesting MSDN Engineering blog on Windows 7 and SSDs.

This piece on SevenForums is interesting as well.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Engineering....and...interesting....hmmmm.

Ya, no defragging...there are no moving parts to optimize for so access times are equal wherever the data is, and each read/write is one less read/write in the life of an SSD.

Thanks
    Defragmenting will actually slow down your drives read/write speeds considerably more over time than not defragmenting at all, and thus eating into your total MTTF and it's performance.
    If you really wanted to get anal about drive performance and longevity I would seriously curtail all non essential background operating system read/write processess to a bare minimum.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Woody's column mentioned that a 'feature' with Windows 7 is an automatic defrag scheduled weekly.

I checked my SS HD install and found it and disabled it (has been running for eight months)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
    Woody's column mentioned that a 'feature' with Windows 7 is an automatic defrag scheduled weekly.

I checked my SS HD install and found it and disabled it (has been running for eight months)
    Windows 7 is not supposed to schedule a defrag if it detects an SSD. Does your system also have a traditional HD?

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another reason there is no need to fragment an SSD drive is that defragging benefits mechanical drives because it reduces the time needed for the head to travel and read what's been requested. Since SSD has no moving parts, the principle behind defragging doesn't really apply.
    Chuck

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Definitely do NOT defrag SSDs. It is akin to defragging your SDRam. Not only is it unnecessary, but it will severely reduce its life.

With Windows 7, any defragging is a waste of time, even for conventional HDDs.