Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have three computers, two with windows 7 and a laptop with vista. The 2 desktops have 7 and the drives are in removable trays. Each computer has a backup drive also in a removable tray. I have windows 7 home premium Family Pack. I want to image the windows 7 hard drives and then rotate between the two when updates come out.

1.Can I legally do this?

2. Will they validate?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Sheldon View Post
    I have three computers, two with windows 7 and a laptop with vista. The 2 desktops have 7 and the drives are in removable trays. Each computer has a backup drive also in a removable tray. I have windows 7 home premium Family Pack. I want to image the windows 7 hard drives and then rotate between the two when updates come out.

1.Can I legally do this?

2. Will they validate?
    Jim,
    Hello... In answering one of the questions "will they validate" It depends ...
    1. Are both machines ( desktops ) the same ... motherboards ? If not when you switch one hard drive from the other machine with a different motherboard to a different machine... "windows" won't validate. If there the same, you have a good chance that it will work. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, greets.

You wrote :

Are both machines ( desktops ) the same ... motherboards ? If not when you switch one hard drive from the other machine with a different motherboard to a different machine... "windows" won't validate. If there the same, you have a good chance that it will work.

I think that they will validate, the HD is only 1 vote, you are allowed to loose 3. If he is only slipping in a cloned HD, that is. If he slips in a HD from another machine, all bets are off as all is different, the MoBo, the 10/100 the HD, etc. I have slipped in a clone HD no problemo !

Be good ................. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Jim.

1.Can I legally do this?

2. Will they validate?

If it is legal, it implies that it would validate. I will try and copy here a text on WPA. ( Windows Product Activation ) A bit dated but I fancy that it still applies.

Here it is. Makes for good reading and lively discussion too.

Be good. .........Jean.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In My Desktop, the motherboard is a Intel 945, in my wife's desktop the motherboard is a MSI K9N. Each Has 2 hard drives in removable trays. In the Intel the HDs are WD 500 and a Seagate 160. In the MSI Is a Seagate 1TB and a Seagate 250.
    In the Intel computer the 500 now has the Windows 7 and In the MSI the 1TB has Windows 7

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Parrot View Post
    Fred, greets.

You wrote :

Are both machines ( desktops ) the same ... motherboards ? If not when you switch one hard drive from the other machine with a different motherboard to a different machine... "windows" won't validate. If there the same, you have a good chance that it will work.

I think that they will validate, the HD is only 1 vote, you are allowed to loose 3. If he is only slipping in a cloned HD, that is. If he slips in a HD from another machine, all bets are off as all is different, the MoBo, the 10/100 the HD, etc. I have slipped in a clone HD no problemo !

Hi Jean,
    I think that he was implying that he wanted to "slip" a hard drive from one machine into another machine. ...If so Windows would probably "choke" if the "MoBo's" are different... so we are in agreement . Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, hello.

>>> If so Windows would probably "choke" if the "MoBo's" are different... so we are in agreement .

If the intent is really to exchnage a HD for another one, not only the MoBo will be different, the whole shebang ! All 12 votes lost, no validation. As much as I hate to admit, yes, we are in agreement.

Have a great evening..............Jean.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    Hi Jean,
    I think that he was implying that he wanted to "slip" a hard drive from one machine into another machine. ...If so Windows would probably "choke" if the "MoBo's" are different... so we are in agreement . Regards Fred
    I'm not going to slip a hard drive from my wifes computer into my computer. The HDs in my wifes computer are sata and the HDs in mine are IDE so the HDs won't work in the other computer ( they will but I would have to take them out of the trays they are in). I want to update a 1TB then shut it off and turn on the 250 and update it and run it for a month then the next month update again and run the other one for a month. If something happens to either one all I have to do is turn a key and I'm back up and running and haven't lost anything.

Thanks
    Since the family pack is retail, there is a method that will work, but it is more trouble than just simply updating the other machine (or hard drive). There are better backup methods.

And again, yes, it will work.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Parrot View Post
    Fred, greets.

You wrote :

I want to thank everyone that responded to my questions. I have read every post and I have the information that I need to proceed. The WPA was very helpful Thanks again.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Since the family pack is retail, there is a method that will work, but it is more trouble than just simply updating the other machine (or hard drive). There are better backup methods.

And again, yes, it will work.
    I know that win7 and vista have built in backup software, and I'm not worried about the computers I use, loosing anything without a backup cause the things stored on them I can replace easily. But My wife has that Seagate 1TB, Seagate has had a lot of problems with that drive and I really don't expect it to last. I bought it cause it was less then 50 dollars and wanted to see if they had gotten their act back together. Both desktops I built. Anyway if there is better and easier way to back them up I will appreciate the advice.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Jim.

>>> Both desktops I built. Anyway if there is better and easier way to back them up I will appreciate the advice.

I built my own too, four of them so far. As far as safety in backup is concerned, I do clones using Acronis. Keep in mind that the clone process was instigated as a HD replacement for a larger one eventually. It does not prevent me from using it as backup. As it is a bit-for-bit copy of your machine, both the boot drive and any recovery partition is copied bit-for-bit to a destination USB HD, after you do one, open them up side by side on your screen and you will see that they are perfect twins. You can also boot from the USB HD if your BIOS will allow this, after all, the USB HD is just like the machine that you cloned.

You can also access any individual file/folder from the clone as if you were looking at the C:\ or D:\ partitions on your machine. I use smaller HD now, 40 G and 60 G to clone my machine that has a 250 G HD but I only have 24.8 G on it, it does not copy empty space. OTOH, if you were to clone 70 G to a 60 G HD, Acronis will, to an extent, compress the data, the better of two worlds.

My philosophy is that if I can clone to the USB, why not clone back from it to the machine if needed after a HD swap or a dead machine due to malware, Acronis formats the Destination so if malware got your machine on its knees, it all goes away from the C:\ and theD:\ or as many partitions that you have on the HD.

I started a clone when I wanted to go to a larger HD but I saw that the process was also a bacon saver, so I stick with it.

Be good......Jean.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Sheldon View Post
    I know that win7 and vista have built in backup software, and I'm not worried about the computers I use, loosing anything without a backup cause the things stored on them I can replace easily. Anyway if there is better and easier way to back them up I will appreciate the advice.
    Jim,
    Hello... Yes!, there is a much better way to backup your OS's. First off using the backup programs that came with "windows" are clumsy and are not anywhere near as good as even the 3rd party free "imaging" offerings. Macrium is the best one of the lot, in my not so humble opinion..(if you can do it ...it ain't brag) http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp . You can image any of your OS's and keep them on a external HD for safekeeping ... The clone route is another way to go ...but is awkward in it's scope. An image can be made without drive switching in about 20minutes, with validation using Macrium to do about 20GB worth of OS. And can be recovered easily. I can choose to recover from a long list of backups, some even as far back as a year or more... or choose one that i did last night. With the "clone thing " you would need a "Zillion" extra HD's to do the same .. like i said "clumsy". Image to an external whatever you want and unplug it when your done... end of story. Regards Fred

PS: I do use cloning, but only on a limited basis, like cloning a Data drive as an extra protection for my image backups, pictures etc.
    PlainFred

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys I have been cloning HDs since the first Seagate I ever bought (around 2003 or 4) and the software to do it came with the drive(Seatools?). Both Seagate and Western Digital are now using Acronis with their retail drives, plus we can download the software from their websites for OEM drives. I have both external enclosures for SATA and IDE drives and I have a hookup for both without the enclosure, direct to a USB port. That is what I usually use to clone a drive.
    I had to look in my downloads to find Macrium. I thought I had tried that software.
    I have all four HD in Kingwin Ala.trays. I can run all four at the same time or I can insert the key and shut them off. I have two HD in each computer. A main drive and a backup which is the smaller drive. Thanks again.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Jim.

>>> I had to look in my downloads to find Macrium.

I never tried this Macrium, the fact that it starts with MAC is enough to steer me off. Acronis is great and you seem to have this mastered, good on you.

Keep in mind that a clone is a two-way process, you can clone to or from a USB HD. I have to great results. A clone does everything for the user.

Now, I have to go and start the snowblower. ............Jean.