New Lounger
    Thanks
    A few days ago my pc started telling me it had no internet access, but was on the network. Of course, I did the typical reseting of the router and modem etc. The weird thing was that my laptop had wireless access no problem. But then the next day my computer is gets access fine. Day 3, gone again! I had the idea to do a system restore thinking maybe it was a Windows 7 update that broke something. Last night I restore to the previous point! I'm back on the internet. Woohoo! But then this morning I turn on my computer and it prompts me for choosing between "Home" "Work" or "Public". This is odd b/c I don't remember ever being prompted for this since I bought my computer. I choose the "Home" option and open the browser - no internet access!!! So frustrating.

I had the idea to go downstairs and get my Linksys USB Wireless Network adapter b/c I thought maybe my network card was going bad. I install it and it tells me I have wireless access to the network. So I open my browser and NOTHING! Thus, my LAN cable and my USB wireless adapter are both on the network, but neither has internet access. My Macbook Pro has wireless access with no problems right now (or ever). This has to be a weird Windows 7 setting that just started acting up a few days ago.

Oh yeah - when my computer DOES have internet access, it calls it "Network 2". But when it doesn't have internet access, it calls it "Network 3" (under the Network and Sharing Center). But I can't figure out what Network 2 and Network 3 even means. It probably doesn't matter as much as I originally thought because my Linksys Wireless adapter doesn't get on the internet either.

One last thing, if it matters, I use OpenDNS on all my computers and laptop.

Edit - I just did another test. On my MacBook Pro, I disable wireless and plugged the Lan cable into both the modem and the router. In both tests I get on the internet fine. WIndows 7 is the only thing that won't give me access.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Brian

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One of the problems, which you gave a good clue to is the different network use when working and when no working.
    So for that part, open the Network and sharing again and click on the change adapter settings over in the left margin. You should then see all the adapters and under the name of each should be a Network or Network 1 or Network 2. Just right click on the adapter connection that isn't working and choose disable. That should only let it connect through the one that is working.
    If its a virtual adapter that is used for something else so you don't want to disable it, you might have to try going into the Advanced>>Advanced settings and set the priority of the adapters so hopefully it will choose the one its supposed to, although when it comes time to connect, if the signal isn't there for the working adapter/connection, after a period of time it will try switching over to the other one to find a connection.
    When you installed the LincSys you added at least one additional network adapter/connection (I slash those two words together because sometimes its more like a virtual adapter than a real one, but the intent is to connect with a network or Internet), and you may have others when you check. I have many from virtual OS installs and GBridge puts one in there...so it can get messy.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I rebooted a couple more times trying to figure out what is going wrong and then it started working again! It's so odd. I'm an XP guy and can troubleshoot things pretty well; but Windows 7 is still confusing for me.

Now I'm too nervous to turn my computer off for fear that it won't work again. Ugh. I'll keep this post bookmarked so I can come back to it next time this happens.

Thanks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm kicking myself now... I don't want my computer to run forever just so that I can have internet access, so I shut it down. But then got nervous and rebooted to check if I got access again. I DON'T!!! Unbelievable that this keeps happening randomly. So much wasted time just to use the internet.

Here is what I have learned recently.

Again, it is back to "Network 3" and not connected to the internet.

I did the Change Adapter option like you said and disabled Network 3. Now the only ones left are a couple VMWare adapters. I rebooted.

Now it just says that for my Active Networks is "Unidentified network" and I don't even have a connection to the router. It appears that this points to the VMWare connections. This seems to be worse.

The thing I don't understand is if I click the network and choose "Merge or Delete Network Location", I see my GOOD network location (DDWRT23 - the router name) and Network 3 listed. But I don't have an option to enable them. The only buttons are Merge or Delete. I need to use the DDWRT23 router name but it won't let me choose it. I'm tempted to try Merge option, but I fear that there may be bad consequences that can't be undone.

I'm also trying to Setup a New Network b/c the one I disabled is gone (in XP is used to just be greyed out - in Windows 7 it's as if I deleted it). But when creating a new network it is scanning for "unconfigured devices" and can't find any. Does this mean that it doesn't detect my router? I would think that maybe my network card is bad, but I can't connect using my LinkSys USB wireless adapter either. This has to be a Windows 7 problem or registry problem?

Any ideas?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, I changed out a router on my mom's system and made all the settings identical to the previous router and noticed that when I logged on, (which happened seamlessly), the network name was the same and everything but Windows 7 asked if the network was a Home, Office or Public network and when I finished logging on, it was listed as Network 2. This could be because 1. The MAC address of the device changed, (layer 2 Data Link), or the IP address, (Network layer 3), changed. Windows 7 definitely knew there was a difference, between the previous configuration and the new one. From past experience with this Windows XP didn't notice the changes when these kind of changes were made. So using this, eith an IP address is changing for some reason or it is seeing different Mac Addresses when it is booted. When Windows 7 doesn't understand something it blocks network access! While this makes things much more secure, It makes shaky variable access network completely unusable. I suspect it's the virtual devices causing your problem. Perhaps you should remove these from your network andf it then might work!