New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all,

I apologize if this has been addressed already, but I don't have the time at the moment to go through every post. I have a wireless cable modem in my garage. My laptop is connected just fine. I do not have a wireless card in my deskop in the house. I'm thinking I need one in order to connect via wireless. How do I go about finding which card would be compatible with both the desktop and the cable modem?

I'm have a Dell Inspiron 530s running Windows XP Home (SP3), and any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

Thanks
    Hi John,

Is your "wireless cable modem" actually a modem/router built into one unit? Whether it is or not, what brand is the router? Does your router meet the 802.11 N standard or is it an earlier 802.11 G capable router?

You could purchase a PCI based card if you have an available slot, or a USB WiFi adapter. Any of the well known brands should do a good job. If I were buying a desktop wireless card today, I would buy one that meets the 802.11 N standard because it is backward compatible with the earlier standards, and you will be well equipped whenever you purchase an 802.11 N compliant router, unless you already have one now. The N adapter will be a little more costly, but it will be better in the long run as it will be faster within your home network as your computers share files with one another.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill