2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a 64bit Windows 7 OS. I want to install a TV Tuner, but when I read the reviews I am somewhat confused. First, I live in a city of 65,000. I am on cable for my TV, Internet, and phone. I am looking at cards between $50-100 dollars. In looking at the reviews, most only get 2-3 stars out of 5. Do these tuners bring in TV programs without a box from your local provider, or will they bring in all or most of the channels, HD and analog? Some reviews say they will not work too well with Win 7.

Ray

Thanks
    Many cards will provide both analog (provided that your signal is decent), and digital from your cable company.
    Most companies that provide television are getting away from analog so it's up to you to determine whether this is the case or not in your area.
    It is best not to rely on analog signals and Newegg reviews should be taken with a grain of salt as many peoples setups may vary radically.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by white_collar View Post
    I have a 64bit Windows 7 OS. I want to install a TV Tuner, but when I read the reviews I am somewhat confused. First, I live in a city of 65,000. I am on cable for my TV, Internet, and phone. I am looking at cards between $50-100 dollars. In looking at the reviews, most only get 2-3 stars out of 5. Do these tuners bring in TV programs without a box from your local provider, or will they bring in all or most of the channels, HD and analog? Some reviews say they will not work too well with Win 7.

Ray
    You might want to aim slightly higher than the $100 up to as much as $150. Somewhat less than the $150 (www.Newegg.com) will get you a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250. I have two of these as upgrades from the -1850 model on Win7 Pro 64 bit machines. The 2250 has one coax cable or antenna input that feeds two HD and two analog tuners as well as an FM tuner. This offers the capability to watch one channel while recording another on cable. Haven't tried recording off antenna feed yet. If you run Windows Media Center it's setup will automatically identify and tune both the available HD (Clear QAM without a set top box or all HD with) and all analog channels from your cable provider and can be controlled through an IR or RF controller included with the tuner card. I don't mean to sound like a salesman but I have yet to have a problem with any of the Hauppauge tuners I've purchased over the last six or seven years.

Another good controller/recorder progam is BeyondTV from SnapStream Media, gives more flexibility but requires more work to setup.

Hope this helps.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TOF For This Useful Post:

MSrider (2014-10-13)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advise. I appreciate it.

Ray

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This really depends on what cable service provider you have. I have Comcast. Comcast requires a set top box or DTA for every TV period (and I suspect all cable providers will eventually go this route as it gives them much more control). So you will be changing channels through the Comcast STB/DTA. This being the case, a true TV tuner is not needed as it's not used. Myself, I want HD on my computer 1080p monitor so I use the Hauppage HD-PVR. It's the only Hauppage product that can do HD. If you're not on Comcast and don't have/need a STB/DTA, then there are many choices of TV tuners out there depending on what your needs are and what you want. Search Newegg, they got a bunch.
    I7 3770K @ 4.4 GHz (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs Corsair DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 770, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), Soundbaster Z, , WD 2 TB Black HDD, WD 1 TB Black HDD, WD 2 TB Black HDD (eSata), 2 DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Rosewill Photon 750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 10 Pro x64

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ornellas View Post
    This really depends on what cable service provider you have. I have Comcast. Comcast requires a set top box or DTA for every TV period (and I suspect all cable providers will eventually go this route as it gives them much more control). So you will be changing channels through the Comcast STB/DTA. This being the case, a true TV tuner is not needed as it's not used. Myself, I want HD on my computer 1080p monitor so I use the Hauppage HD-PVR. It's the only Hauppage product that can do HD. If you're not on Comcast and don't have/need a STB/DTA, then there are many choices of TV tuners out there depending on what your needs are and what you want. Search Newegg, they got a bunch.
    Yes Michael, that's what I have. TWC wallplate into splitter, splitter leg(s) into a computer(s) mounted WinTV-HVR-2250 and another leg to a cable modem, CM to router and router to switch ( for when I want to hook other things like VOIP devices), router or switch to computer for the network.

I didn't mean to imply that I used this setup to watch on a big flatscreen family TV, that one does have the STB. My computers do not. Only watch and record in Clear QAM (1080i) on a 22 and/or 19 inch monitor.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bill, could you explain a bit more to me? I, too, am a Comcast customer and connect from wall to DTA then to computer, through Hauppauge PVR-150MCE and PVR-250 (edit: before Comcast went digital I used splitter into each to record 2x or watch record simultaneously; now I just capture or watch on one input, I haven't yet hooked up the 2nd DTA I have).

What's a TWC wallplate?

I'd like to be able to control the DTA; would IR Blaster or another product work?

What are the pros and cons of not upgrading my Hauppauge cards?

I've not yet done anything with HD, but am finishing my basement and hope to put in a big flatscreen family TV. Any suggestions on what I should consider or need? I'll be getting receiver et al. for it and hope to connect all with HDMI.

I don't get nearly all the channels on the DTA as on the regular full-sized digital cable box connected to my TV. Anything I can do about that?

Does HD OTA work well?

If you can point me to some good resources so I can learn more I'd appreciate that. I asked a few questions in the Hauppauge forums but don't get much help there.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotty View Post
    Bill, could you explain a bit more to me? I, too, am a Comcast customer and connect from wall to DTA then to computer, through Hauppauge PVR-150MCE and PVR-250 (edit: before Comcast went digital I used splitter into each to record 2x or watch record simultaneously; now I just capture or watch on one input, I haven't yet hooked up the 2nd DTA I have).

What's a TWC wallplate?

I'd like to be able to control the DTA; would IR Blaster or another product work?

What are the pros and cons of not upgrading my Hauppauge cards?

I've not yet done anything with HD, but am finishing my basement and hope to put in a big flatscreen family TV. Any suggestions on what I should consider or need? I'll be getting receiver et al. for it and hope to connect all with HDMI.

I don't get nearly all the channels on the DTA as on the regular full-sized digital cable box connected to my TV. Anything I can do about that?

Does HD OTA work well?

If you can point me to some good resources so I can learn more I'd appreciate that. I asked a few questions in the Hauppauge forums but don't get much help there.

Thank you for any help you can provide!
    I'll make an assumption here, correct me if I'm wrong. My assumption is that DTA is a Digital Television Adapter and is the equivalent of what is often called a "Set Top Box" or STB.

The TWC "wallplate" is my way of describing where the cable provider mounts his coax connector so that I can attach whatever compatible appliance I require, e.g., STB, direct to a router, etc.

With that out of the way, you may be able to go from the wall plug to the DTA and then to the Tuner card. Hauppauge provides a kit for the IR blaster that has an IR pickup that they say can be placed in front of the IR pickup on the STB to controll the Tuner card so that may also work with your DTA. I suggest either calling the Hauppauge tech support or emailing them to verify what you want to do.

My setup in the computer room/man cave (wife's term) is such that I come directly off the wall coax through a splitter to the Tuner card in the computer.

My HD reception is this mode is limited to mostly local stations via Clear QAM tuning and mapping to the tuner database. That part is more automatic in Media Center than the other third party programs

OTA is OK but often takes antenna twiddling depending on weather and all sorts of funny things apparently.

I don't know that this has been very helpful good luck anyway!

:-)