New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just recently installed Win 7 on a new SSD hard drive and had it set up to dual boot into either Win XP or Win 7. In my research, I discovered that the two operating systems cannot share applications - they will need to be reinstalled in Win 7, which seems like a tedious process. Is this true and, if so, should I install the applications in the same directory they are on now or in a different directory? The SSD drive is only 64 GB, so it would seem that I cannot install the applications on that drive and still have room for the OS, swamp file, etc. So I am thinking that I would most likely have to install the applications in Win 7 on another hard drive, separate from the one that the XP applications are on.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair Bishop View Post
    I just recently installed Win 7 on a new SSD hard drive and had it set up to dual boot into either Win XP or Win 7. In my research, I discovered that the two operating systems cannot share applications - they will need to be reinstalled in Win 7, which seems like a tedious process. Is this true and, if so, should I install the applications in the same directory they are on now or in a different directory? The SSD drive is only 64 GB, so it would seem that I cannot install the applications on that drive and still have room for the OS, swamp file, etc. So I am thinking that I would most likely have to install the applications in Win 7 on another hard drive, separate from the one that the XP applications are on.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
    I have to ask why you need the dual boot? In almost all situations any app from Win XP will run in Win 7. In addition, if you are running Win 7 Pro or above you can download a free Win XP virtual machine and run most things from that.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Mostly this is temporary while I transition into Win 7, since I do not have the time currently to learn the OS. In addition, I do have two games set up in XP that I do not want to have to reload. Once that is finished, I will phase out of XP.

Thanks
    I found the transition from XP to Win 7 was elatively painless. It was far less onerous that I originally thought it might be. Check out these Tip sites to assist with this endeavoe:

Paul Thorrott's Windows Supersite

Windows Seven Forums

How To Geek

These sites will give hundreds of tips to increase your knowledge of Win 7 and customize Win 7 to your hearts content.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Blair,

The basic answer to your question is NO you can't install once and use on both OSes. This is mainly due to most programs writing their configuration information to the Registry. Since each OS has it's own Registry it won't work. What I tried with some success was to setup a G: drive that was accessable by both OSes 7 & XP. Then install the program twice (once from each OS) to the same location on the G: drive. This would work with some programs but not with others. Any program that got regular updates, e.g. Anti-Virus would have problems as one of the registry's would show it updated while the other one would not. I finally gave up on this and as mentioned by previous posters in this thread went all Win 7 and am glad I did!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the feedback - it is much appreciated. I decided to use another, larger internal drive to install many of the applications for Win 7 so I wouldn't have to load them on the smaller SSD drive. It would be great if I could just leap in and make the transition to Win 7 more quickly, but with the holidays and a new baby coming, I do not have the time to both work two jobs and try to take on using and customizing a new OS. The biggest problem right now is applications like Outlook, where the two OSes have to access the same .pst file or getting Firefox to use the same profile in in both XP and Win 7. I am looking forward to the day when I only have one OS again.

Thanks
    You should be able to access the same .pst file from both OS. I would move it to a new folder on your extra drive and then do a file/open in Outlook. You might have to set the file permissions to Everyone.

Jerry

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Blair,

See this thread.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Great! Thanks so much for your help.