iNET Interactive
    Thanks

IN THE WILD

Adobe Reader gets sandboxing security — sort of

By Robert Vamosi

Adobe's Reader X is now available and should be downloaded as soon as possible.

However, don't expect those pesky PDF exploits to stop anytime soon. The added security that sandboxing provides Reader is far from complete.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/12/09/08 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by andyfboyd; 2011-01-18 at 12:54.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Re the following excerpt from this article, I am a satisfied user of Foxit, and have fully deleted Adobe Reader. Why should I bother with Adobe's product?
    "There's another path to reading PDFs safely. Free alternative readers such as Foxit (
    info site) are often less enticing targets for cyber criminals, due to their smaller market share."

New Lounger
    Thanks
    BEWARE Reader X

1. The install now removes version 9.????.
    2. The install requires a re-boot..
    3. Some (my TA S&C dvd) password protected .pdf's are no longer accessible with Reader X.
    4. Two hours and an image restore fixes it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Reader X did remove Reader 9 from my system (Win7-64). No reboot required.

I've tried the Reader alternatives, but they don't play well with certain things (e.g., US Postal Service online shipping).

I currently run Comodo Internet Security, which also sandboxes suspect applications.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I gave up on Adobe Reader a long time ago, somewhere around Version 5. It got too bloated, buggy, and slow.

Instead, I use the free PDF-XChange Viewer. Fast, easy to use but customizable.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I installed this it also installed and ran McAffee Scanner. It would have been nice to have known that in advance. While I understand their reasoning I don't like programs that take these actions and in this case I didn't have an option not to have that installed.

Thanks
    I upgraded on my windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit laptop, and Reader 9 went away with the upgrade. I prefer to use Nitro PDF due to its ability to edit PDFs and PDF on line Forms as well as better printing out of PDF documents. Security may also be better, although I am not aware of any sandboxing in Nitro PDF. Nitro is free, although there is also a paid Pro version with additional features.

To avoid the McAfee Scanner, be careful to uncheck the offer to install it when Reader X is installing. That option was presented to me.

Speaking of Google Chrome (re. Flash Player sandboxing) there is a new Version 8, which should be offered automatically, except to Windows Guest Accounts.

Comodo not only offers limited sandboxing, but it also offers a Comodo DNS Service, which provides additional safeguards. I use both on my Windows XP Pro laptop. No slowing of Internet activities on that machine.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    why not just run Adobe's Reader in Sandboxie?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    We tried Reader X and discovered and confirmed through documentation, that its not compatible with McAfee VirusScan Enterprise and some of the Symantec Anti-malware products too.
    This is supposed to be greater security?