iNET Interactive
    Thanks

WOODY'S WINDOWS
    Making do without Windows Home Server

By Woody Leonhard

Microsoft has effectively driven a nail into Windows Home Server's coffin and alienated WHS fans (including me!) with word that the next version of WHS will lose important functionality.

Be of good cheer. What Microsoft has torn asunder, you can join again with a minimum of fuss and surprisingly little capital.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/12/09/07 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by andyfboyd; 2011-01-18 at 15:06.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes Woody, Timbuktu has internet connections, less then a buck per hour.
    CU there? ;-)

Cheers,
    Sjors

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When WHS Vail is released, will it automatically update my current WHS version? I sure hope it won't (knowing Microsoft, it will cost money to upgrade like going from Vista to Win 7). If that's the case, then I agree with Woody! My current version does what I like and I'm keeping it longer than most people are keeping Win XP!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sjors View Post
    Yes Woody, Timbuktu has internet connections, less then a buck per hour.
    CU there? ;-)

Cheers,
    Sjors
    @Sjors -

In fact, I hear the Internet in Timbuktu is faster than the Internet here in Patong!
    Woody

For Dummies book author, Senior Contributing Editor for InfoWorld, and long-suffering Windows victim. Check out the latest at AskWoody.com.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Ruffin View Post
    When WHS Vail is released, will it automatically update my current WHS version? I sure hope it won't (knowing Microsoft, it will cost money to upgrade like going from Vista to Win 7). If that's the case, then I agree with Woody! My current version does what I like and I'm keeping it longer than most people are keeping Win XP!!!
    @Charlie -

I'm with you. If MS yanks Drive Extender in Vail, there's no way I'm going to run Vail.

It's about 99% likely that Vail will be an extra-cost upgrade. There will be a HUGE roar of pain if MS puts Vail on Automatic Update for WHS.
    Woody

For Dummies book author, Senior Contributing Editor for InfoWorld, and long-suffering Windows victim. Check out the latest at AskWoody.com.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I can't recall Microsoft ever giving away a new version of an OS product unless they slipped up and called it a service pack (i.e. XP SP2). I would fully expect it be a chargable item.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dang. WHS has got to be the easiest thing MS has ever put out there. I have one of those HP boxes based solely on Woody's passion for WHS. Best decision I ever made. All my friends lose files (laptop stolen, dropped, etc.). Not me. But I'm going to hang on to this thing so keep those articles coming, Woody. Now, if they could only make it a little easier to make a Time Machine backup for my new Mac Book Air!
    Hank

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As if anyone needed more evidence of why they hate microsoft.

I had been lusting after one of the HP mediasmart WHS servers for quite a while. . .but after reading this article and doing some research I've decided to build a small server and put Amahi on it. Amahi runs on top of Fedora.

Amahi also provides access to Greyholewhich is the Open Source alternative to WHS DE discussed in the article.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Apalodimas View Post
    I had been lusting after one of the HP mediasmart WHS servers for quite a while. . .but after reading this article and doing some research I've decided to build a small server and put Amahi on it. Amahi runs on top of Fedora.
    I haven't checked prices lately, but if any of the major chains near you are clearing out HP WHS machines, it's possible that they're going cheap....
    Woody