New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm working on a client's machine (an HP Pavilion e9250t) that gets a BSOD shortly after the login/welcome screen. Stop x000000D1, iaStor.sys,

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. This occurs even when attempting to boot in safe mode. The client suspects it may be virus, so I tried to boot to

various recovery CD's.
    - Avast BartCD: BSOD's STOP 0000007B
    - Avira RescueCD: garbled video (even after manually selected the most minimal video mode (640x480x8)), but able to proceed. 6 infected files found, but none of them
    - F-secure RescueCD: hangs during boot

I checked the BIOS and and SATA mode is set for RAID (default setting). Changed to AHCI - same BSOD. IDE - Stop x0000007B

Tried a known good copy of iaStor.sys to \windows\system32\drivers (using recovery environment - Hiren's BootCD ver 10.6) - same BSOD

I ran chkdsk on the affected partition in the recovery environment, and several errors were found and corrected, but same BSOD.

Ran a full HP memory and HD diagnostic (including Surface scan test) with no errors.

Client has a Acronis TrueImage BootCD and that hangs shortly after displaying the options GUI, so that option's not available

I'm about to throw in the towel and save whatever data I can and restore factory image. Is there anything I've missed here or should try?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    looks like you tried about everything. Can't believe the Acronis CD won't boot, is this hardware problem also?

1 note, if bios was set to Raid then do not change mid stride. I done that and it wouldn't boot again.

Thanks
    There are a number of iaStor.sys files.

IaStor.sys is an intel SATA/RAID driver, but there are different drivers for different Intel motherboard models, all with the same filename. ICH5, ICH6, ICH7, etc. all use a different version of iastor.sys.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I extracted iaStor.sys from HP's website for this computer (e9250t) - Intel Matrix Storage, so I can only assume it's the right one. Also, I had attempted system restore and it failed at every restore point I tried.

Thanks
    Hi danno,

Try installing the entire Intel Matrix Storage Manager for your motherboard, not just extracting the iaStor.sys.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Often RAM problems cause this issue and it gets disguised as something else because memory is corrupted. Try running a memory diagnostic such as Memtest86+.

Joe
    Joe