Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Desktop: Dell Dimension 8300 running WinXP SP3, Ethernet connection to router.

Laptop: Samsung R780 running Win7, wireless connection to router.

Router: Belkin N Wireless Modem Router, Model F5D8636-4V1.

Both computers can access the Internet via the router. The Dell can see the Samsung. On the Samsung Windows Explorer and the Networking Center can't see the Dell, but Belarc Advisor lists it. The workgroup names are identical on both computers and I think I've got both set up to share their discs (but I'm a noob to this game so I'm not sure).

Can anyone suggest anything to check, or links to advice or tutorials on this subject written so someone without deep tech knowledge can understand it?

Here's a list of what I've done and some evidence. Apologies for the long post.

Samsung > Connection properties > enabled WINS/NetBIOS Over TCP/IP for IP V4
    Dell > Drive properties > enabled file/folder sharing for D: and E:
    Dell > Enabled printer sharing
    Dell > Control Panel > System > Computer Name > Change > changed workgroup name to BONZO
    Dell > Sygate Personal Firewall > Options > Network Neighbourhood > enabled "Allow others to share my files and printers"
    Dell > Connection properties > enabled WIN/NetBIOS over TCP/IP
    Dell > services.msc > Messenger > changed to Auto and started
    Dell > Shut down Sygate Personal Firewall
    Samsung > Set workgroup name to BONZO
    Samsung > Connection properties > enabled WINS/NetBIOS Over TCP/IP for IP V4
    Samsung and Dell > checked the following services are started and auto (some are not present on each computer; and some were not previously auto). This was based on advice inhttp://www.techsupportforum.com/networking-forum/networking-support/517177-solved-unable-ping-file-share-between-networked-computers.html
    COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
    Computer Browser
    DHCP Client
    DNS Client
    Network Connections
    Network Location Awareness
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    Server
    TCP/IP Netbios helper
    Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations)
    WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations)
    Workstation

Belarc Advisor on the Samsung:
    Device type: Router
    Device details: Belkin/N Wireless Router
    Device roles: DHCP Server, Gateway, Domain Name Server
    Device type: (blank)
    Device details: D5xckv0j (in BONZO)
    Device roles: Browse Master
    Device type: Windows 7 Workstation
    Device details: Samsung (in BONZO), Samsung.belkin
    Device roles: Samba Server

Ping on Samsung by IP address:
    Router: OK
    Dell: OK provided the Sygate Personal Firewall is shut down, otherwise it times out

Ping on Samsung by name:
    ping D5xckv0j - OK

Belarc Advisor on the Dell:
    Router, same details as on Samsung
    Device type: Windows XP Workstation
    Device details: D5xckv0j (in BONZO), d5xckv0j.belkin
    Device roles: Print Server, Browse Master
    Samsung, same details as on Samsung

Ping on Dell by IP address:
    Samsung: OK

Windows Explorer on Samsung:
    Dell not listed. Also not listed in Network Map, Map Network Disk Drive, etc.

Windows Explorer on Dell:
    Samsung is listed. Can connect to a "user" and folders within them, but no disk drives are listed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks
    Hi John, and welcome to the Lounge!

Quote: Ping on Samsung by IP address:
    Dell: OK provided the Sygate Personal Firewall is shut down, otherwise it times out

Try disabling the Sygate Personal Firewall on the Dell, and using The Windows Firewall instead to see if that enables you to see the Dell from the Samsung, just to see how things go. It looks like there is an incoming setting on the Sygate Firewall that is blocking the Samsung's ability to communicate with the Dell.

Is there a setting in the Sygate Firewall that allows you to declare computers on your home network as trusted?

Also, check out this How to Geek tutorial on networking XP and Windows 7. It has helped a great many people running a mixed workgroup network.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Hi John, the only possible point is both PC's should be named differently. Your laptop could be trying to connect to it's self.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Try disabling the Sygate Personal Firewall on the Dell
    Thanks, but that only fixes pinging for me, nothing else.
    Also, check out this How to Geek tutorial
    Been there. Quite good but he assumes both computers can see each other and presses on from there.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Hi John, the only possible point is both PC's should be named differently.
    Thanks but yep they do have different names. Same workgroup name though as I think is essential.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Check this networking post - http://bro.ws/589883L. Almost all of it still applys. There are several other links there to networking articles.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Check to see if your Wireless Network Connection Properties look like the ones below. They reflect the default Windows 7 WiFi Network Properties. BTW, how is it that Belarc detects your Samsung's Device role as Samba Server? Do you have the Computer Browser Service disabled on your Samsung? It is not necessarily required for it to be enabled, but you might try setting it to Automatic and Start the service just to see.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    In the WIndows 7 Network and Sharing Center, is your network set as a Home network or a Public network? Click on the Change advanced Sharing Settings to verify the following settings under the Home or Work Profile :

Turn on network discovery
    Turn on file and printer sharing
    Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the Public Folders
    Enable file sharing for devices that use 40- or 56- bit encryption (This is the better of the two options listed when there is an XP machine in the network.)
    Turn off password protected sharing
    Deadeye81

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the same set up as you do! My desktop runs Windows XP Professional and the laptop runs Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I can easily exchange files back and forth, although I have file sharing set off in the laptop to avoid penetration on public networks. Here are a few facts you need to look at: When communicating with an XP machine you must set up a Workgroup not a Homegroup. If you don't have both machines set up in a Workgroup they will not see each other! To set up aWorkgroup in Windows 7, go to Control Panel and select System, (this assumes you're using Small or Large icons instead of Catagory View). At the bottom half, the Workgroup default name is shown. Click Change Settings and name your workgroup to what it is in your XP machine. The two will see each other and when you map your network in the Network and Sharing Center you will see an icon for your XP machine. I dragged it out onto the desktop so when I want to access my Windows XP Professional computer I can click on it and see all my folders which have the file permissions specified on that computer. I can read/write and do all the things I need to do by just dragging the files either way from the open windows that I have "snapped" side-by-side. It works great and this is probably your problem! Note: hopefully your wireless router assigns the same IP address each time to your desktop computer otherwise your link on the desktop will be invalid. If you run into this problem assign a static IP address for the desktop in the wireless router and your laptop will see that computer every time it logs on to your network. Also you have to use Home or Office network settings otherwise the Windows 7 machine will place severe restrictions on what can happen over the network. Do not use these two settings if your wireless network is unsecured! That's asking for it! I recommend WPA2 PSK using AES for security. It's pretty darn tight! Also the Windows XP machine needs Service Pack 3 or an update that you can get from Microsoft for Service Pack 2 to use the new much more secure AES. I hope this helps!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for all the suggestions. It'll take me a while to work through them but I'll let you know how it goes.

To the poster who asked why the Samsung is a Samba server - I've no idea, presumably Win7 and/or Samsung did it, I certainly didn't (well, not knowingly, anyway). I've never heard of a Samba server before but I'm off to Wikipedia now to try to find out what it is.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not good news I'm afraid. I tried everything suggested but nothing fixed it. Thanks for trying to help though, it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    John, before giving my option, does your laptop connect to anything other than your desktop ?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    John, before giving my option, does your laptop connect to anything other than your desktop ?
    It connects to the Internet via the router without any problems. Its only other connections are its USB mouse and some USB speakers and they work fine.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Cletheroe View Post
    It connects to the Internet via the router without any problems. Its only other connections are its USB mouse and some USB speakers and they work fine.
    John, I seem to have misread your post, install this on both your PC's. http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    John, I seem to have misread your post, install this on both your PC's. http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx
    Sorry if I seem overcautious but I'd prefer not to do that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast