New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have just recently installed a router (Linksys E2000) and hardwired the desktop and connected the laptop as wireless. Both systems are up and running. However, on the laptop I cannot install an av program, I tried MSE and AVG both come back as saying ran into a problem and cannot install. On my desktop I am running MSE and Comodo as the firewall.
    On the laptop I'm running windows firewall. The router is running WPA2/WPA mixed mode. My question is: on my laptop do I need an antivirous program? If I do, why can't I install one on the laptop?

Thanks
    Ted, Welcome to the Lounge.

Yes you need an AV on your laptop. Here's what I would do. Download the MSE exe. to your laptop. Disconnect from the internet temporarily. Right click on the MSE exe. and choose to Run As Administrator. This installs at a higher privledge level.

Do you have any other AV apps (perhaps trial apps that came with the laptop) running. Is so, uninstall these apps. They may interfere with the MSE installation. Also when installing MSE and Comodo, temporarily disable the Windows firewall. This may help.

I hope these suggestions help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Hi Ted, and welcome!

I agree with Ted. Also, what Windows version is installed on your laptop? You might consider temporarily disabling the Windows firewall on your laptop when you attempt to install AV. And did you check to see if you have complete uninterrupted access to the Internet when you were attempting to install the AV programs?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the quick responses!! I have xp sp3 on the laptop. I'm going to try the other suggestions and will let you know what happens. As a side note, when I connected the laptop wirelessly to the internet thru the router, I had MSE on the laptop. MSE later could not "upgrade" by itself and said to reboot and retry. Which I did but to no avail. My laptop was connected to the wireless network, but I couldn't connect to the internet. After much hairpulling, we (my wife) noticed that windows said we had to fire walls running, windows and ZA.
    I didn't pickup on this because the Zonealarm icon wasn't displayed in the icon tray. I uninstalled zone alarm and lo and behold was able to connect to the internet. I then tried again to install MSE via a new download but again ran into the problems listed in my first post. As mentioned earlier, I am going to try the new suggestions and let everyone know the outcome. Again thanks for the responses.

Thanks
    Even though it is compatible with XP it seems there are more problems with MSE when installed with Win XP than with Win 7. I suppose it's possible the backward capability is not total, who knows.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I checked Microsoft security center and found out virus protection was on, looking further it said Microsoft Security Essentials was updated and running. I looked at the start up menu and found msseses.exe was loaded from c;\0fi9f.......2d5\update\msseces.exe- hide-runkey. The MSE icon is not shown in the task bar. Right now I'm running "onecare safety scan thru microsoft. I guess I don't understand why mse isn't showing up & running in the task bar.