2 Star Lounger
    Boston suburb (Acton), Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks

Resetting Numbering when using Outline (2000)

I like the outline view in Word but I want the Print-View to show what I consider "outline numbering." I modified the STYLE for Heading1 on down to specify appropriate numbering and indents. Under Format / Style / Highlight-correct-style / Modify / Format / Numbering / Cusomize the "Start at" is set to 1 (i.e., I didn't change it).

Works great.. EXCEPT the numbers don't restart in each section (E.g., "1", "1 A", "1 B", "2", "2 C" [instead of "2 A"]).

ALSO (I'm embarrassed to have forgotten) what do I do to correct the occasional errors in page numbering ("Page 1 of 7" & "Page 2 of 7" print as "Page 1 of 1" & "Page 2 of 2", etc.)

Thanks in advance. I think the WOPR Lounge is a positive goldmine resource [Spell check found one error - I had "goldmine" spelled as "godmine" - did I really mistype, or are hidden forces at work?]

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Resetting Numbering when using Outline (2000)

The outline numbering is not supposed to reset at each section. Outline numbering is supposed to be continuous throughout the document. If you want the numbering to restart, right click the outline number that should restart, choose Bullets & Numbering..., & click the button to "restart the numbering" (this is different than "start at").

Install SR-1a to resolve the page 1 of 1, 2 of 2. There are otehr things you can try like reverse printing, turning off background printing, & turning off viewing hidden text with the show/hide button, but each of these has drawbacks & doesn't always work.

Hope this helps.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When I do the Format / Bullets-and-Numbering, the "Restart Numbering" is greyed out.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It's a little hard to interpret what you're reporting, since the word "section" has a special meaning in Word, but it appears that's not what you're referring to.

Do you mean that your Heading 1 style is supposed to produce 1, 2, 3 etc., and your Heading 2 style is supposed to produce A, B, C?
    If they are linked properly, then you would automatically get numbering like:

1 (Heading 1)
    1A (Heading 2)
    1B (Heading 2)
    2 (Heading 1)
    2A (Heading 2)

- but you're getting 2C instead?
    The Heading 2 should automatically restart back at A after the previous Heading 1 paragraph.
    If it isn't, that's probably because the Heading styles aren't properly linked up as part of the same outline numbering scheme.

The most common mistake made when setting this up is that folks do the following:
    Go to Format / Style / Highlight Heading 1 / Modify / Format/Numbering / Customize and make all the needed numbering settings for Heading 1.
    OK your way back and Highlight 2, then go to Modify etc. all the way to Numbering Customize and set what's needed for Heading 2.

This seems intuitive but unfortunately doesn't work - the numbering for Heading 1 and Heading 2 will not reliably be linked this way.

What needs to be done instead is:
    First set all the style properties that are required (but not the numbering properties) for the styles that are going to be part of your outline numbered list (in this case, you are using the Heading # styles).
    Then go to Format / Style / Highlight Heading 1 / Modify / Format/Numbering / Customize

and make all the changes necessary for all of the levels from that one place. Make sure that you click on "More" and put the appropriate style in where it says "Link level to style".
    So you do all of the levels/styles (i.e. Heading 1, Heading 2 etc.) from there, and then OK your way out.

The styles and outline numbering should now be reliably linked.
    If you ever need to do any future tweaks to any of the styles that are linked to outline numbering, you must start from a paragraph that has the first level style applied (in this case Heading 1), navigate to the Customize Numbering dialog, and make the need tweaks to whichever level of the outline the tweaks are needed at.

Hope the above is pertinent to the issue you're reporting!

Gary

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Gary -

You were correct about my using the word "section" imprecisely - I'm guilty. Your reading was correct - I was getting "2C" instead of "2A".

I tried your suggestion to go into the box under format / style / modify / numbering / customize / "outline numbered" and setup all 9 levels right then and there. It worked better, but still had some problems on some levels. But "1 A 3 c ii" just looks too ugly for me to spend several hours trying to smooth out the wrinkles.

So I copied the file and went to work.

My goal is:

TARGET AUDIENCE
    ....1..Intro
    ........A...Approach
    ..............1)...General
    ..............2)...Specifics
    .........B...Execution
    ....2...Details
    .........A...Steps
    MARKETING IDEAS
    ....1...General
    .........A...Cereal boxes

It appears to be hopeless to reach my goal by defining "styles" Heading1 through Heading9 using "Numbered".

So I turned to "Outline Numbered". Under Customize I set up all 9 levels (6-9 are actually bulleted lists - hey, what an idea - no "restart the number" problems with them!) and defined each level, eliminating the higher level portion of the number that I don't want. That proved to be hard to do (it took several return visits to the customize box before I could actually delete the extra levels), but I did finally get it.

Everything seems to work properly. Hip, Hip, Hooray!

THANKS [I agree with your comment that the solution was not intuitive].

I suspect I will figure out what I did that caused different behavior on deleting undesirable level numbers on re-visits to the "customize" box. But my brain is melting. That's for another day.