2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Genuine MS Win XP Home Edition 2002 SP3 (installed from an OEM disk)
    Intel E6550 @2.33GHz 2.99GB RAM

It all started when I noticed that the fonts in all menus and window title bars had changed to bold. At first I thought one of the kids had played with it, but adjusting the display settings did not help. They are still bold and I can't change the font.

Now other strange things are happening to the computer:
    • The Start Bar at the bottom of the screen displays icons only, although they are wide enough to accommodate the captions.
    • Menus are truncated and display the first few characters of the menu item followed by ...
    • Dialog boxes do not display all of the text and the OK and CANCEL buttons are stretched really wide, so that they are impossible to read

(See the attached screen grab for an idea of some of what I'm talking about)

If I shut down and restart the computer, all is normal for a while until the phenomena reappear.

• I have Kaspersky installed and ran a full virus scan, but it didn't pick up any viruses
    • I ran MalwareBytes malware scanner
    • I cleaned the computer using CCleaner (including the registry)
    • I defragged the hard drive using Defraggler

Nothing seems to help.

One possible cause is that the computer is getting too hot. I have it in a cupboard and it sometimes gets quite hot in there, although I leave one of the doors open when the computer is in use, and there are some ventilation holes in the cupboard. It is also possible that the case fan is not functioning properly. However, I installed a program called "SpeedFan" that monitors the temperature in the box and it indicates that the CPU is running at a cool 32c, yet I still have this problem.

Thanks for any advice you can provide,

JoeK
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you tried System Restore to a point where you know it was working?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    If System Restore doesn't work, try a Repair Install. ( http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ps/doug92.mspx )

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So you believe Win XP is corrupted some how? Given the symptoms, I guess that makes sense.

I don't know how to do a system restore - I never purposely created a restore point...

I'll have to try the repair install.

Thanks for the advice.

JoeK

Thanks
    Windows will create Restore Points on its own. Go to Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore Select the Restore my computer to an earlier time. In the next window, look for a bolded date on the calendar prior to when you noticed the problem and click on it. You may have to go to a previous month. Click next and follow the prompts. This will restore your system setting to those in effect at that date. You will have to reinstall any software you had installed after the selected date. None of your data will be affected.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your excellent instructions. I'll give it a go.

Regards,

JoeK