Thanks
    The membership directory listings at www.amr1.org/military.htm are created in Word 2003. If you click the name of the organization, you go to their web site. If you click the dot to the left of the organization's name, you go to a Wikipedia page about the organization.

The word "AIR FORCE" and everything below it are created from a mail merge document that is manipulated by some macros, then saved as Filtered HTML and posted to the web site.

Instead of those dots, I want to use a small graphic, probably the blue "i" in a circle that is so common on web sites. I'm not even certain that such a thing can be done, but it would be a big improvement in my site if it COULD be.

I can certainly find a suitable graphic of the proper size. But I don't know how to put it in place of the dot, get the proper link assigned, etc.

Who has some guidance, suggestions, solutions, etc.?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    Inserting all those images in your document probably would make you crazy.

If you don't mind doing a find-and-replace in the HTML generated by Word, you could generate the .html file, re-open it as plain text (turn on Confirm Conversions in the General options if needed), then replace the dot with the appropriate code, which might be along the following lines if you have an image of that name:

Code:
    [img]/gotowikipedia.jpg[/img]
    Make sure to save as plain text again.

To avoid the danger of Word getting confused about whether it should open a document as HTML or text, you could do the replace in WordPad or a text editor such as PSPad.

Thanks
    I'll give this a try. If I can get one of the dots converted and working as a link, that's a start.

My directory has about 400 entries, each with a dot. When I update it, I update the underlying Word document by adding new entries (or occasionally changing an old one). Then I save it as a .doc file (for the next update) and as a filtered HTML file. Then I use Microsoft Script Editor on the filtered HTML document, and paste the resulting HTML into the "external HTML" slot on my very old WYSIWIG web site authoring program.

It's a bit Rube Goldberg, but I've got it down to a science and it doesn't take long at all to process changes.

I despair of being able to get all those dots turned into graphics, but, hey, the longest journey starts with a single step.

I can dig it out of a book, but it would help if you could answer: where does the graphic have to live? On my computer, on the Internet, or where???
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Sander View Post
    I can dig it out of a book, but it would help if you could answer: where does the graphic have to live? On my computer, on the Internet, or where???
    To start, put it in the same folder on the server as your page.