Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a question about how Win 7 names networks. I have a home network, which I gave a name, and then I also am using (or trying to use) a number of VPN devices (hamachi, Tunngle, Neorouter, etc.). Each time I install one of these "network adapters" the network it uses is called "network n", where n is a number. I cannot find a way to change this name, and even after one uninstalls the VPN and its adapter, the name still exists (the network does not really exist, but the name does). I am up to "Network 11" now. How does one change the name of these networks, and if you can't do that, how does one quit increasing the numbering?
    Mike
    I can always use good information

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You have to unintall the ghosted (unused) network adapters which are hidden.See if you can go into Device manager and click View>>Show hidden devices and then uninstall the ghosted adapters, which should free up the network number associated with it (I'm thinking).

Lounger
    Thanks
    Bryan - I did as you suggested, but there are a whole bunch of adapters shown, such as "WAN Miniport (IKEv2)" and many more that i don't want to just delete without knowing what they are. None of them is called "Network 10" or the like. I do not think this is the problem.
    Thanks for the suggestion though.
    Mike
    I can always use good information

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, that's the tough part, remembering or being able to associate which ones created or were used for which Network. You will not get a Network N listing, only the Adapters not being used, some of which were associated with Network numbers. I don't know where one would go to find that association after its been ghosted, unlike current ones which show up in the Change Network adapters window.