New Lounger
    Midland, Texas
    I have a Gateway DX4200 Desktop that periodically won't boot. The hard drive spins up but nothing ever comes up on the display. A friend suggested I reseat the memory. I tried that and it worked. It would boot up. However, after some time, it won't boot again. I have found I can reseat the first memory card and it will boot up. Sometimes it continues to work for a month or two. Sometimes it is only a day or two. Sometimes, I can see what appears to be minor corrosion buildup on some of the pins of this card. I have tried replacing the memory cards and swapping the order. Nothing seems to stop the problem. Any ideas as to what is causing this and how I can stop it?

I wonder if this is perhaps a Bios issue with your PC. You might try a Bios flash update directly from Gateway support.
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

California & Arizona
    Ensure that your processor and fan mount is secured.
    Sometimes these things can come loose and as a result you may get problems booting or heat related non booting issues.
    If you are confident and capable of dismounting a processor and cleaning the thermal tape or paste and reaplying, then that may be worthwhile doing as one troubleshooting method. If your computer is still in warranty then go that route.
    Power Supply issues: If you don't have a spare PSU to swap out then troubleshooting PSU issues can be alot harder to resolve.
    Monitor: Ensure that your monitor is connected securely to your GPU card or appropriate IO contact.
    BIOS: are you able to access the bios menu screens?
    Power and contacts: Ensure all components & cables that are connected to and from the motherboard are seated correctly and are firmly in place.
    Disconnect and reconnect if needed and ensure antistatic precautions.

You may also want to check in the event viewer for any hardware or driver issues when you are able to boot.
    Note any other behaviors when you are able to boot and run the computer like freezes or black/blue screens.
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.