Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a strange problem which I would like to resolve.
    I have three PCs, two desktops and one laptop.
    The laptop and one of the desktops run Win7 64 bit. and have Gbps adapters.
    The other desktop runs WinXP SP3 and has a 100Mbps adapter..
    When they are wired through a router WNDR3700, which has Gbps ports, a problem arises when I try to suck a file from the WinXP desktop to the Win7 desktop.
    The procedure I adopted was to open the Win7 computer and click on the Network icon.
    Then I would open the WinXP machine and navigate to the file I wanted to transfer selecting it, right clicking and clicking Copy.
    Then I would select the Win7 folder I wanted to copy the file to, right click and click Paste.
    A dialog would open showing the file being transferred from the WinXP to the Win7.
    On this dialog there is a link to open More details, clicking this shows the speed of transfer.
    It would start around 200Kbps and quickly fall to 50Kbps and then an error message would appear:

Network Error
    There is a problem accessing \\WinXP\winxpfolder
    Make sure you are connected to the network and try again.

If I try to do the same between the two Win7 machines there is no problem.

Has anyone anything I can do to try to narrow down the problem and then cure it?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Cameron View Post
    The procedure I adopted was to open the Win7 computer and click on the Network icon.
    Then I would open the WinXP machine and navigate to the file I wanted to transfer selecting it, right clicking and clicking Copy.
    Then I would select the Win7 folder I wanted to copy the file to, right click and click Paste.

Network Error
    There is a problem accessing \\WinXP\winxpfolder
    Make sure you are connected to the network and try again.
    Hi Alan,

I am assuming you can see your Windows 7 shared folders from your XP computer in Windows Explorer, and that you can see your XP shared folders from your Windows 7 computer in Windows Explorer under Network. If that is not an accurate assumption, then please advise me. Also be sure both computers are using the same workgroup name. What software firewall do you use on XP? Some setting may be blocking network access to your XP shared folders. Check the firewall settings or temporarily disable the firewall and try again. Windows Firewall is configured to allow your shared folders to function properly.

If everything above is in order, all that should be necessary is that both computers are on and are connected to your home network. However, if you use XP Pro and have Simple file sharing disabled under Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View tab , then you are using standard networking, and you will need to right click the shared folder, select Properties, then click the Sharing tab > Permissions button and give the Everyone group permission for full control. Click Ok, and next click the Security Tab, select the Everyone group, and allow it full control. If you want to revert to Simple file sharing in XP Pro or if you have XP Home installed, then you can be sure Simple file sharing is enabled, and right click the shared folder > select Properties > Sharing tab > check mark Share this folder on the network, and do the same for Allow network users to change my files.

You will need to check your Windows 7 shared folders for the Everyone group share permissions and security permissions as well.

Here is an excellent tutorial on networking shares in Windows 7 and XP (as well as Vista.)
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input. I am checking all the items you quoted. I think I had all the settings correct as when I was using a simple hub instead of the router it worked fine. The hub was only 100Mbps and I need 1Gbps to speed up the transfer of large files preparatory to hosing WinXP and replacing it with Win7. However I will re-check the settings and confirm the problem status.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am still having this problem. Has anyone got a solution or even a possible plan of attack to get to the bottom it?

Administrator
    Thanks
    We need more information from you.

Can you post the results of the various tests at the "Troubleshooting File Shares" link?

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am sorry for my unfamiliarity with your reference. I Googled "Troubleshooting File Shares" and there are 98,000.
    You obviously have a specific one in mind could you please give the link.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    PROBLEM SOLVED
    I have discovvered that the NIC on the WinXP box was set in the speed settings to "Force 100Mbps Full Duplex" changing this to "Force 100Mbps Half Duplex" cured the problem.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You've been persistent. Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for sharing your solution.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    You've been persistent. Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for sharing your solution.

Joe
    I try to help others, when I can.
    Incidentally I have also upgraded my machine by the addition of a Gigabit NIC and that works even faster. Merry Christmas,