Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Forum members I would like some help please. A friends computer for the last 4 days now constantly reloads his home page which is Yahoo. The reload is every 1 second. I was not able to load any other web pages at all because of this. The address bar begins with res: as opposed to http//www. etc. I guess that it means restore. Anyway, the command to reset the web connection I have forgotten. Without being on the web the Computer is OK. But while trying to be connected it goes into its dance making any other setting attempt impossible as in tools etc. Would anyone have an idea? It would be nice to be able to fix this situation. Regards Peter

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Is the PC up-to-date with patches?

Which version of IE is running?

Have you tried to change the home page to a different site or to about:blank?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi JoeP, it is XP service pack 2. The IE version was 7. I managed after 6 tries to download IE 8 but the same thing, constant reloads. The reloads are so fast that typing anything in the address bar is impossible. Even his favorites are impossible to click on because by the time you get the mouse there it has already reloaded the Yahoo home page with the error message unable to load or reload home page. But it is doing it continuously already. I recall that there was a command prompt something like --- ipconfig reset or something like that, or clear ip histrory or etc. but I have forgotten.These commands were for CMD window without being on the net. They just reset the web access path. Regards Peter

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schulze View Post
    Hi Forum members I would like some help please. A friends computer for the last 4 days now constantly reloads his home page which is Yahoo. The reload is every 1 second. I was not able to load any other web pages at all because of this. The address bar begins with res: as opposed to http//www. etc. I guess that it means restore. Anyway, the command to reset the web connection I have forgotten. Without being on the web the Computer is OK. But while trying to be connected it goes into its dance making any other setting attempt impossible as in tools etc. Would anyone have an idea? It would be nice to be able to fix this situation. Regards Peter
    Peter, try deleting all browsing history from the 'tools' menu. To clear DNS cache, open command prompt, run as administrator, type:- ipconfig /flushdns
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks
    Just to be sure you didn't pick up any malware, Download and run Malwarebytes ( www.malwarebytes.org ). i would also try diabling all add ons.:

Open Internet Explorer 7.
    Click Tools, point to Manage Add-ons, and then click Enable or Disable Add-ons.
    In the Show box, select Add-ons that have been used by Internet Explorer to display all add-ons that are installed on the computer.
    For each item in this list, select the add-on, and then click Disable under Settings.
    When you have disabled all the items in this list, click OK.
    Exit and then restart Internet Explorer 7.
    If issues do not occur, repeat steps 1 through 3.
    Click Enable for a single add-on.
    Repeat steps 6 through 8 until you determine which add-on causes errors to occur.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    You can access Internet Options throught the Control Panel without IE running. You can change the homepage and many other settings.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all Gentlemen, we did the eliminate all the add-ons offline (from control panel) and the problem was Zone Alarm TOOLBAR. Zone Alarm basic program was OK. Thank you all again for helping us out. Regards Peter

Administrator
    Thanks
    Glad you got it worked out. Thanks for sharing your solution.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks JoeP, it is the least I can do. Regards Peter