Thanks
    Good evening!

I can't seem to find the C:\ProgramData folder via Win Explorer. I have folder options set this way:

[attachment=90885:folder options.jpg]

I was able to find it using "Search Everything", but can't understand why I can't access it through Win Explorer. OS is Win 7 64bit.

Thanks for any advice or comments,
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dell Inspiron 530 Intel Pentium E2180 dual core @2.00 GHz 4GB Ram Win7 64 bit

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I wonder if your hard drive needs to be fully indexed. The initial index is time consuming, but subsequent indexes are not. Type Index in the search box to open the Indexing Options:

[attachment=90886:Index.png]

Click on modify to open the second window to set indexed locations.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Hi John,

It is normal when first enabling the viewing of hidden and operating system protected files to only be able to see the formerly hidden folder in the Detail Pane. Only after double clicking the ProgramData folder in the Detail Pane (or restarting Windows Explorer) would you be able to view the folders within the ProgramData folder and see the ProgramData folder show in the Tree Pane. Are you first looking for ProgramData in the Tree Pane rather than in the Detail Pane?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Gerald,

Ah! Veeery Interesting {with heavy fake German accent}.

Would a Refresh {F5} make it show up in the tree?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Hi John,

It is normal when first enabling the viewing of hidden and operating system protected files to only be able to see the formerly hidden folder in the Detail Pane. Only after double clicking the ProgramData folder in the Detail Pane (or restarting Windows Explorer) would you be able to view the folders within the ProgramData folder and see the ProgramData folder show in the Tree Pane. Are you first looking for ProgramData in the Tree Pane rather than in the Detail Pane?
    Thanks Gerald,

That did it. I now see the ProgramData file. It still doesn't show up when typed into the search box, although I don't really care about that.

Ted,

Thanks for the info; I didn't know about the indexing. I knew that it occurred, but not that it could be done manually. Below is a picture of mine: sure doesn't look anything like yours. Interestingly, I removed Symantec and Win Live Mail via Revo some time ago.
    [attachment=90893:Indexing Options 121110.jpg]

Thanks,
    John

Thanks
    Hi John,

I am glad you are able to see the folders within ProgramData now. Even if you have indexed your System Drive (C, there are folders that will still be excluded from the index. Windows 7 excludes the following from the search index (even if you manually ask for their inclusion in the index):

The Windows folder and all subfolders

Windows.old and Windows.000 (seen after doing a custom install upgrade from Vista or XP)

\$Recycle Bin (hidden folder that contains all the deleted files for all the user accounts)

\Users\Default and its subfolders (this is the user profile template that Windows uses to create profiles for new users on the computer)

All contents, and subfolders of the \Program Files and \Program Files (x86) folders

AppData folder and its subfolders

The \ProgramData folder and all subfolders except the specific subfolder that contains the shortcuts for the shared Start menu. Any program listed within the start menu
    will be included in the Index. If you search for a program in the Start Menu Search box that is very slow at coming up in the search results (it only shows in results after
    you finish typing the name of the program into the search box) then it was not referenced in the Start Menu.

Also, when I conduct a search for 'ProgramData', I get a number of hits from within files that contain the word 'ProgramData' in the text, but search does not take me directly to the ProgramData folder. Windows keeps it hidden for some good reasons, so your search results for 'ProgramData' is pretty typical.

RG, pressing 'F5' has no effect when I do it. Have you tried it and found it to refresh Explorer so the ProgramData folder shows in the Tree Pane as a result?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    RG, pressing 'F5' has no effect when I do it. Have you tried it and found it to refresh Explorer so the ProgramData folder shows in the Tree Pane as a result?
    Gerald,

I haven't tested this particular situation but have noticed that when I add new folders to a library they don't appear in the tree pane until I press F5 so I thought it might apply here also.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I find the freeware Everything search application from Voidtools ( http://www.voidtools.com/ ) to be much easier to use and more comprehensive than Windows search unless you want to search content within files.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Witalka View Post
    I find the freeware Everything search application from Voidtools ( http://www.voidtools.com/ ) to be much easier to use and more comprehensive than Windows search unless you want to search content within files.
    Jerry
    That is the very reason I like Windows 7 search. I find it easier to search file contents than to try to remember which files actually contain the content I am looking for. Microsoft chose to not allow the indexing of system files because few people actually need to search system files. When I rarely need to find a system file, I usually do not need a search engine to do so, but if I did, I would rely on Everything.
    Deadeye81

Thanks
    Hi John,

I am glad you are able to see the folders within ProgramData now. Even if you have indexed your System Drive (C, there are folders that will still be excluded from the index. Windows 7 excludes the following from the search index (even if you manually ask for their inclusion in the index):

The Windows folder and all subfolders

Windows.old and Windows.000 (seen after doing a custom install upgrade from Vista or XP)

\$Recycle Bin (hidden folder that contains all the deleted files for all the user accounts)

\Users\Default and its subfolders (this is the user profile template that Windows uses to create profiles for new users on the computer)

All contents, and subfolders of the \Program Files and \Program Files (x86) folders

AppData folder and its subfolders

The \ProgramData folder and all subfolders except the specific subfolder that contains the shortcuts for the shared Start menu. Any program listed within the start menu
    will be included in the Index. If you search for a program in the Start Menu Search box that is very slow at coming up in the search results (it only shows in results after
    you finish typing the name of the program into the search box) then it was not referenced in the Start Menu.

Also, when I conduct a search for 'ProgramData', I get a number of hits from within files that contain the word 'ProgramData' in the text, but search does not take me directly to the ProgramData folder. Windows keeps it hidden for some good reasons, so your search results for 'ProgramData' is pretty typical.
    Gerald-

Thanks so much for the very interesting extra information. I thought that I must have a problem with Win Explorer. It's always good to learn something new!

John

Thanks
    You are very welcome, John. I am glad you found it helpful. Merry Christmas!
    Deadeye81

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Juergens View Post
    Good evening!

I can't seem to find the C:\ProgramData folder via Win Explorer. I have folder options set this way:

[attachment=90885:folder options.jpg]

I was able to find it using "Search Everything", but can't understand why I can't access it through Win Explorer. OS is Win 7 64bit.

Thanks for any advice or comments,
    John
    John,
    Hello... If you haven't already download and install this free "tweaker" Winbubbles http://blog.unlockforus.org/2010/01/...and-tweak.html you can set it so you can "take ownership" of any file or folder (right click context menu ) and view whatever you want ...no matter what "Windows" thinks
    Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    John,
    Hello... If you haven't already download and install this free "tweaker" Winbubbles http://blog.unlockfo...-and-tweak.html you can set it so you can "take ownership" of any file or folder (right click context menu ) and view whatever you want ...no matter what "Windows" thinks
    Regards Fred
    Hi Fred!

Looks like fun and I'd like to give it a play. However, I can't seem to confirm that this app is 64 bit compatible. Would you happen to know if it is?

Thanks,
    John

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Juergens View Post
    Hi Fred!

Looks like fun and I'd like to give it a play. However, I can't seem to confirm that this app is 64 bit compatible. Would you happen to know if it is?

Thanks,
    John
    John,
    Hello.... Yes, i am using "Winbubble 1.76 " ( an older version ) on my Windows 7 \ 64 now. ...Didn't see any reason to "update" as it has worked fine with Vista Home Premium 32 and Windows 7 \ 32 as well. (not a big fan of "updating" if all is well ) Regards Fred

PS: pretty sure that you can still download 1.76 if you need to...Takes a bit of "digging" around their website to find.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)