Thanks
    I have about 1200 music CD's I am not actively adding to my CD collection any longer.

So I want to archive these in lossless format (.WAV? FLAC? Something else?) to a hard disk.

The problem is how much storage am I going to need for the files and overhead?

I was going to try to take 10 or so selected CD's and see how much storage they used on the CD as an average, but I don't see any way to tell how much storage an audio CD uses in Windows XP.

If I assume that each CD holds about 700MB (and is full), then I would need at least a 1TB drive to hold the data. Since I need 2 equal sized drives (one for backup) and these drives will be used exclusively for the audio Cd data , I don't want a lot of wasted space sitting around. So I am torn between 1TB, 1.5TB or 2 TB drives.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ibeme View Post
    I have about 1200 music CD's I am not actively adding to my CD collection any longer.

So I want to archive these in lossless format (.WAV? FLAC? Something else?) to a hard disk.

The problem is how much storage am I going to need for the files and overhead?

I was going to try to take 10 or so selected CD's and see how much storage they used on the CD as an average, but I don't see any way to tell how much storage an audio CD uses in Windows XP.

If I assume that each CD holds about 700MB (and is full), then I would need at least a 1TB drive to hold the data. Since I need 2 equal sized drives (one for backup) and these drives will be used exclusively for the audio Cd data , I don't want a lot of wasted space sitting around. So I am torn between 1TB, 1.5TB or 2 TB drives.

Any ideas?
    Hi ibeme, I just ripped an original CD with 23 tracks to test it for you. Ripped in FLAC setting, file size is 152mb. If you want to know MP3 size just ask.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Hi ibeme, I just ripped an original CD with 23 tracks to test it for you. Ripped in FLAC setting, file size is 152mb. If you want to know MP3 size just ask.
    It's obvious but I didn't think of doing any test rips myself. Thanks.

Don't know if this is possible but seems like this would be a good application idea for some programmer to kick out. Insert an audio CD and get a report of the space usage for various storage methods and bit rates.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This may be of interest .....
    Ripping CDs with FLAC

Thanks
    It's obvious but I didn't think of doing any test rips myself. Thanks.

Don't know if this is possible but seems like this would be a good application idea for some programmer to kick out. Insert an audio CD and get a report of the space usage for various storage methods and bit rates.
    I used Winamp to rip the CD, it can be done in various formats whereas WM Player can't.

Thanks
    I have a couple of 2 TB Western Digital drives that have served me well for the last year and a half now.
    I agree, FLAC or VBR mp3 are decent formats to convert to.

If you are undecided about the format go with WAV. They can be converted at a later time.

700MB x 1200 = 820.3125GB (approximately)
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Assume I went with FLAC.

Would there be any problems if I wanted to drop selected tracks back onto a CD to play in a normal CD player?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    FLAC is good, about 2/3 the size of the wav.
    I use MediaMonkey to rip / manage - it's free.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Assume I went with FLAC.

Would there be any problems if I wanted to drop selected tracks back onto a CD to play in a normal CD player?
    Not if burned to a CD, the format would change to CDA.