3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Getting ready to switch my Internet Connection vendor from Cox Cable to a Fiber Optic sytem from my local utility company.

I plan to put their box on the outside of a separate building I have in my back yard. The wiring will be run through underground conduits that I already have going to this building which houses my main desktop computer.

Since all of the wiring is already there, I will need a wired router to connect another desktop computer in my house to the Fiber Optic Internet connection in the separate building. The desktop in the house will be used only for basic internet surfing.

The main computer in the separate building is a Dell Dimension 9200 running Windows XP Professional.
    The 2nd computer in my house is an even older Dell Dimension XPS T600r (Pentium 3) running Windows 98SE.
    Since it is a much older system, it does not have an Ehternet connection - although I assume I could add a card in an empty slot to add one.

FIRST QUESTION IS
    Is the old system in the house just too old to be used even for basic internet surfing?
    Obviously, it does not have the latest Internet Explorer version, so a lot (most?) websites may not even be able to be accessed.

SECOND QUESTION IS
    Finding reviews of Wired Routers is difficult. Apparently everybody just uses wireless routers.
    Does anyone have an opinion as to which would be the best Wired Router to buy?
    Even if I cannot connect the old system in the house, I plan (Spring of 2011) to move what is now my main computer to the house & purchase a new desktop for my main computer - so, I will still need a Wired Router eventually.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenXXXX View Post
    Finding reviews of Wired Routers is difficult. Apparently everybody just uses wireless routers.
    Does anyone have an opinion as to which would be the best Wired Router to buy?
    Since all the new development is in wireless routers, buy one of these and disable the wireless function.
    Voilą! A wired router with (usually) four ethernet ports!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just curious, what are the distances....
    1) between Fiber connection and router?
    2) between Router and Dell 9200?
    3) between Router and Dell T600?

Here are some router reviews...
    Router reviews

Batcher is right ... most wireless routers have multiple ethernet ports.

Thanks
    Here's a reliable site for reviews;Pc Mag
    IMHO,it's like buying a truck,car,ect.....everyone has their own preference.Good luck on what ever you decide.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    First answer
    Almost any old system will browse the internet with aplomb. Just keep other programs to a minimum when browsing.

Second answer
    As long as your computers are less than 100m from the router, pretty much anything will work. BATcher's suggestion is, as usual, spot on, but you would be advised to opt for giga bit connections to allow for future growth.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Tim Sullivan' date='2010-12-11 13:11' timestamp='1292094670' post='870789']
    Just curious, what are the distances....
    1) between Fiber connection and router?
    2) between Router and Dell 9200?
    3) between Router and Dell T600?

ANSWERS

1) They will run the fiber optic cable APPROX 150 feet from an inground box at the street to their box on the back outside wall of the building in my back yard. That includes going up into the attic in my house then down into the PVC conduit that is already there, then up into the attic of the back building, then down on the back outside wall about 3 feet. That is where the fiber optic cable will end. Then from their box, they will run an Ethernet cable back up into the attic & then down in an adjacent wall that will come out into the building where my Dell 9200 is.

2) That is also where the router will be (next to my Dell 9200).

3) APPROX 110 feet to my Dell T600 in the house. There is already an Ethernet cable there that I can use. It was used to connect my Cox Cable. So, it will just be disconnected from the Cox cable inside the attic of my house & run down into an interior wall into a room that already has a cox cable connection there. I will remove the old cox cable into that room & instead run the Ethernet cable down into that room.

No reason for me NOT to use a wired router instead of a wireless router. The Ethernet cable that exists already for the Cox Cable service is only 3 years old and both the fiber optic cable & Ethernet cable will be brand new from my local utility company.

I don't have a problem with purchasing a wireless router & just disabling the wireless part of it - but it just seems that I am disabling the most expensive part of the wireless router (i.e. why pay for what I am not going to use).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Might also want to take a look at type of CAT (5, 5e,6) cable is installed.

Here is a brief article on some differences ....
    Cat5 vs Cat5e vs Cat6 - Which Should You Use?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had already researched that before I had the electricians install it for me when I built the outdoor building 3 years ago. It is Cat 6 for the wiring for the Cox Cable Internet Service.

They ran 2 conduits underground (because everything in my subdivision is underground).
    1 was soley for the electrical wiring.
    The 2nd was for the Cat 6 and the telephone wiring.