Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 7 64-Bit

I'm upgrading from a 22-inch LCD monitor 16:10 with a resolution of 1680 x 1050. The reading distance is 27 inches.

It's primary use is for text reading and the web. The new computer monitor has to display TEXT very clearly. This is the most important quality I'm looking for (very little use for gaming, if any.) Because of the display distance (27 inches), I use windows 7 to increase the font size to 150% of normal for the 22-inch monitor. While the text is readable, it is of course not as clear as I would like.

After reading many reviews on the LED computer monitors and the IPS monitors, I haven't found any review comparing these types of monitors against each other for TEXT quality/clarity.

I've found that LED is supposedly easier on the eyes compared to LCD, due to less glare, but when comparing the IPS (which uses LCD) I haven't found any information about the better quality color of the IPS display perhaps also increasing the quality of text displayed; and overcoming the use of the older LCD technology and its presumably harsher glare on the eyes when compared to LED.

1) Which is generally better for TEXT reading, LED or IPS?

And then there is the size. My price point is under $400 (on sale).

2) Generally speaking, would it be better to choose a 23-inch IPS monitor (with a dpi of .26) then increase the windows dpi 150% or choose a 24-inch LED (with a dpi .27) and increase the windows dpi 150% or choose a 27-inch LED (with a dpi .31) and increase the windows dpi 125% or less?

Again, the viewing distance is 27 inches. (Eventually I'll mount the monitor to vesa desk clamp, but for now, it sits at 27-inches.)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    A long-time reader of Windows Secrets.

FYI - Here are a few choices where I've found good reviews for under $400. There are others, but I really could use some good advice with my two questions. Thanks again.

23-inch IPS:
    Viewsonic VP2365wb
    Dell U2311H

24-inch LED:
    Asus VE248H
    Dell P2411H
    Viewsonic VG2428wm

27-inch LED:
    Asus VE278Q
    Viewsonic VX2739WM

Thanks
    I have only ever used LCD displays, but to get the clearest text one needs to keep the OS's font at 100% and the resolution set to the native resolution of the monitor. The other factor for me has always been background and foreground colors and the chosen font. Other variables are the scroll rate, refresh rate and font smoothing.
    HTH
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RussB For This Useful Post:

ip45ywre (2011-02-25)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply. Those are things I'm keeping in mind.

Can anyone else help me with my two questions, please?

1) Which is generally better for TEXT reading, LED or IPS?

2) Generally speaking, would it be better to choose a 23-inch IPS monitor (with a dpi of .26) then increase the windows dpi 150% or choose a 24-inch LED (with a dpi .27) and increase the windows dpi 150% or choose a 27-inch LED (with a dpi .31) and increase the windows dpi 125% or less?

(If there is another forum/website that would better answer these two questions, anyone please suggest.)

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    MMC,

I'd suggest you read this article. If you don't have the time it states that IPS {in-panel switching} is another name for TFT {Thin Film Transistor} which would put the Viewsonic VX2739wm in the IPS class even though it isn't advertised as such. You might want to check the specs on the others as well to see if this is the case.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

ip45ywre (2011-02-25)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, thanks for the article, I DID read it. The Viewsonic VX2739wm does get good reviews.

I was hesitant to list any monitors, since I did not want to enter a discussion about a specific model.

I'm really looking for an answer to my two questions.

Thanks anyway!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    My understanding is LED is just a different back lighting system. As it is newer it is probably still maturing and will be relatively more expensive for the same result.
    I think you need to see a few in action.

cheers, Paul

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

ip45ywre (2011-02-25)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have, but I'm interested in reading about the differences between the two as compared to each other for TEXT.

Thanks Paul!