New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, I currently have a D-Link DI-604 router connected to a Quest DSL modem with a 3mbps connection. Connected to the D-Link I have a D-Link WBR 1310 wireless router that I use as a wireless hub. All computers in the house are hard wired to the DI-604 and we use the wireless for a laptop, ipods, and internet streaming of movies to the TV. As these routers are fairly old I often wonder whether I would get better performance with a single new wireless router. Often when someone is on their ipod, tv is going etc things really slow down. I don't want to spend money on a new router if I wouldn't see a noticeable increase in bandwidth. I cannot get a faster DSL connection in my area so increasing is not an option. I'm thinking that maybe a dual band router might help but I don't know enough about it. Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mitch

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A new router will most likely not increase your WAN speed. That speed is determined by numerous things, mainly your ISP. If you are getting a "3mbps connection" speed, it would probably remain about the same. On the other hand, if you have a home network a new N series router could possibly double your file transfers between computers.

A dual band router will not be any faster than the equipment that is connecting to it. Unless your equipment supports the 5 GHz band a dual will be no faster than a single band.

JB

Thanks
    Mitch,

Welcome to the lounge.

Your D-Link WBR 1310 is a 802.11g wireless device operating at a max of 54Mb connected to an ethernet port operating at a max of 100Mb.
    So your wireless link is the bottleneck. Unless the devices (ipod, TV, etc.) you are using support 802.11n getting a new router isn't going to speed things up any, sorry. At least that is my understanding.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info. I'll check and see what the tv and ipods support. Streaming movies over the internet is where we see the most slowdown and since that is over the wireless maybe I could get a boost in speed at least for wireless devices.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Anderson View Post
    Streaming movies over the internet is where we see the most slowdown and since that is over the wireless maybe I could get a boost in speed at least for wireless devices.
    June Bug's post is worth another read. If your ISP data rate is 3 Mbps and you increase your Local LAN wireless connection speed by using wireless 'N' instead of 'G', and you are downloading Stuff from the internet, then you get the same data rate from the ISP to your router - but it gets distributed faster across your local LAN. The bottleneck is still the ISP line speed.
    BATcher

Mr Owl ate my metal worm

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    The detail is in the figures.
    Internet speed = 3Mbps
    Wireless speed = 10Mbps
    Internet = bottleneck

Check one of the speed test sites to determine your true internet speed.

cheers, Paul