Lounger
    Thanks
    I just got a new machine with Windows 7 64 bit. I have a 2nd HDD (1TB) installed and I attempted to install XP on it.
    The installation proceeded fine until the Reboot step. Instead of opening the XP install sequence I got a message telling me that
    "a Disk Error Occurred. Press Ctrl-alt-del To Restart"
    I tried twice, even formatting (quick)the disk but no joy. Since the XP installation reset the boot loader, I had to use the Win 7 disk to reset it back.
    I have previously installed a second disk dual boot XP on Vista systems so I don't think that it is related to Win 7

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You should install OSes only in the order in which they are released: XP first then 7. But since you have a second hard drive, then you can do what I did. I unplugged the first hard drive (with Win 7 on it) and then installed XP on the second hard drive. Once installed, I shut down the PC, plugged the first hard drive back in, changed the BIOS to boot off of the Win 7 drive, booted into Win 7 and used EasyBCD to add XP to the boot menu.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Silly me! You already installed XP on the second drive. Now that you have restored the boot partition and are booting into Win 7, simply run EasyBCD and add XP to the boot menu.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If it happens again you would want to check your BIOS settings and be sure that when you were trying to boot to XP it was using the correct hard drive and not trying to boot to the Win 7 hard drive.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Johnson2191 View Post
    You should install OSes only in the order in which they are released: XP first then 7. But since you have a second hard drive, then you can do what I did. I unplugged the first hard drive (with Win 7 on it) and then installed XP on the second hard drive. Once installed, I shut down the PC, plugged the first hard drive back in, changed the BIOS to boot off of the Win 7 drive, booted into Win 7 and used EasyBCD to add XP to the boot menu.
    Thanks! I always hesitate to mess with hardware but when all else fails, I try it. After disconnecting the Win7 drive, I was able to completely install XP Pro on the other drive.
    When I reconnected the Win7 drive and rebooted, it came up in Windows 7. I looked on the other drive and there was a "legacy" boot.ini drive for the XP boot.
    Now my problem is that I cannot figure out to use EasyBCD to add XP to the boot menu. Would you please send me or point me to some step-by-step instructions for doing this. I have EasyBCD 2.1 installed.
    Thanks in advance.