New Lounger
    Thanks
    My main problem is a kitten who found out how to make my cursor zip all over the monitor, but what has happened is, I cannot access my backup drive (G) a Maxtor drive with approx 330 gigs of space. I went to verify a backup to see if everything was copying as I had set up, and no "G" drive showing in My Computer. Hmmm, went to "C" drive and it looked awfully much like my "G" drive setup that I had started long ago. I looked for the "safe to remove hardware button" so I could unplug my Maxtor drive, and no button was on my toolbar. Now the little beads of sweat started, I tried to restart into safe mode---wouldn't work. I tried several times, still would not work. I shut down the computer and then removed the USB connection for the Maxtor from the computer and restarted the computer and again tried to get into safe mode-again no dice and now my mouse would not move and I could not get past the startup button. I plugged the USB for the Maxtor back in and my mouse now worked and I could sign on to the computer.
    My system is a Dell 8100, 75 gig hard drive, one gig of ram, Windows XP service pack 2, and from the way it looks to me, some how C drive was deleted from the Windows Explorer tree and "G" drive has now taken over as C drive. Has anyone had experience with this and what can I do to get things back to normal?

Thanks
    Hi Larry, welcome to The Lounge
    -
    What does 'Disk Management' show ?

[attachment=90899:r.JPG]
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Windows XP, not Windows 7, but mysystem info under storage disks shows for my C drive WDCWD800TB))JSCO, which is my backup external drive, The actual C drive is not showing up.

Thanks
    Hi Larry,

In reading your post, do I understand correctly that your computer will boot to the Windows password entry screen with your external G: disk unattached, but no further until you plug the external disk in? Or does it fail to boot XP at all?

Here are some things to look at. Check your CMOS battery on your motherboard. It is possible your BIOS has been corrupted and has gone bonkers. If you are unable to test the battery to be sure it carries the proper charge, you can cheaply pick one up at an electronics store, Radio Shack, or maybe Walmart. The battery is most likely a C2030 if my memory is correct. If it is possible to do so, download and install the latest BIOS update from Dell's Support for your model computer. I would also download the latest Chipset Device Drivers as well.

Apparently, something has made your external drive bootable, and your internal C: unbootable, or the internal C: disk will not allow Windows startup without the presence of your external drive. If possible, scan for malware on your external disk using your chosen AV/AS app as well as some of the online scanners. I would do this before attempting to back up any data from the G: disk.

Have you checked your BIOS after unplugging your external disk to see what hard disk shows there?

Check the Event Viewer Windows logs, Software Log and System Log for any critical errors that may provide some clues.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Gerald, I think I am going to take the whole kit-and-cabootle to my local compoter repair guy. I found a good one who is not affiliated with any chain store and they are good and quite reasonable. Two years ago I had a bad computer crash, and as I was looking at the (unnamed) external backup drive, and thinking "well, at least I have all my data backed up", the platters spinning inside suddenly locked up and the external unit torqued 90 degrees to the left and stayed locked up. A one in a trillion chance, and I had to be the lucky winner of that lottery. Anyway, this local shop was able to spin my C drive enough to clone it to a new disk drive and get me back up and running. I will replace the battery inside first, but I do not believe that is the problem because I replaced it 9 months ago as a preventive.
    Thanks again, and when I get it back I will post what the corrective action was. Larry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey- once you teach your kitten to stay off and get your computer fixed so it boots properly, then it's time to upgrade XP to SP3. Good luck.
    Paulbyr in NC

New Lounger
    Thanks

Computer would not boot without external driv

To all who gave me several areas to look at for the reason why my computer would not work without my external drive connected, I took it into my favorite repair shop and they thought it was a corrupted file in my "C" drive that had to pull that file from my backup drive in order to work. That's what they thought. It is the first time I have ever seen three tech.'s hunched over a computer scratching their heads, and some how they got my main "C" drive to work without the backup drive connected and then they hooked up my backup drive to one of their machines to test it, and, you guessed it, their machine would not work after they disconnected it.
    So it seems the problem was from the backup drive initially all along. I am taking the backup drive out to our local range and I plan to put at least eight 30-06 rounds thru it. I know it won't solve the problem with the drive, but it will make me feel a lot better. Larry Bonnet

Thanks
    Thanks for posting back the conclusion of your thread, Larry. And enjoy your target practice!
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill