New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi I'm really hoping someone here can help...
    I am running 2 PCs, I with Win XP SP3 and 1 with Win 7 Home Premium.
    Also running MSE, Avira Free and Comodo Firewall Pro on both. (I know some people advise against multiple antivirus but I've never had an issue with the two before) and Malwarebytes Antimalaware Free version.

My problem is that for the last week I have been unable to update MSE unless I manually download the full definition file of around 50Meg (and even that has failed to download at least once - it gets almost to the end then a problem occurs). If I try to automatically update I either get a message about it failing to connect, or the update connects, downloads almost to completion, then gives an error.
    I have also tried going to update Windows and I get a similar error message. (But I can access the Windows update page)

All other browsing/downloading works fine, Avira updates fine, and Malwarebytes, Avira and MSE find no problems.

I have checked (as suggested elsewhere) that BITS is active, I can't see a block on it in the firewall (tried with Firewall deactivated even, same problem). I have even tried restoring my computer to an earlier date (before the problem occurred) and this too fails to give success - again a MSE update chewed 50-odd megs updating then gave an error (at this rate I will have blown my entire month's bandwidth on attempted MSE updates!)

Yesterday I downloaded Clamwin portable on another PC and ran a scan with that - also no problems found other that a reported Phishing email in my junkmail.

So if anyone can PLEASE help I would really appreciate it.
    Incidentally I have downloaded SuperAntispyware onto the XP computer and am running a scan with that at the moment to see IF that picks up anything....

Thanks in advance...

Thanks
    Hi Diane, welcome to The Lounge
    -
    You are aware, that using multiple tools to do the same work causes conflicts. As your using Comodo and its the full package, remove everything else. If not just keep one AV program.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Diane, Welcome to the Lounge.

It appears running your 2 AV apps simultaneously may have finally caused a problem. You may have to pick one or the other. I personally use MSE on all my PC's and am very pleased with it. I also use the Windows Firewall and an app called Windows 7 Firewall Control to help set up how Windows Firewall protects inbound and outbound info. This app was recommended By Gerald and seems to work very well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted. Thanks for the welcome and the useful reply.
    Ironically a few minutes ago I WAS finally able to update MSE, and MU has given me a list of available updates (too many for me to update in working hours - will have to wait until I reach "free bandwidth" time tonight).
    So the problem MAY have been resolved - which makes me suspect my ISP is the problem - but I will keep those programmes in mind for sure if there are any further issues. Although come to think of it, disabling Avira didn't help when the problem was in full effect - but who knows.
    Once again - thanks for the input!
    Diane

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If your system dates were off enough you would get errors with definition updates; it sounds more like a connection interruption problem in your case, though I don't know why it would only appear to fail for MSE updates unless there's a distinct filesize difference.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    If your system dates were off enough you would get errors with definition updates; it sounds more like a connection interruption problem in your case, though I don't know why it would only appear to fail for MSE updates unless there's a distinct filesize difference.
    Dates were fine on both boxes... the fact that the problem appeared for both and then 'disappeared' for both, together with the connection-related error messages, does make me think more and more that it was/is a connection issue - just strange that all other sites seemed fine....but my provider has been having DNS issues so perhaps that means there were interruptions in the transfers which MU and MSE update interpreted as no connection...
    I should know for sure later when I try to download the windows updates...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to confirm, I was able to update WIndows overnight, and MSE as well. So no problems with my boxes (relief!) and either microsoft decided to block me alone or the problem lay with my ISP.
    Thanks Byron, Ted and Roderunner - incidentally Roderunner somehow I missed reading your post - thanks for the welcome and info; FWIW the Comodo I have is FW only not AV.
    I guess this can be marked as resolved....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane van Vuuren View Post
    Just to confirm, I was able to update WIndows overnight, and MSE as well. So no problems with my boxes (relief!) and either microsoft decided to block me alone or the problem lay with my ISP.
    Thanks Byron, Ted and Roderunner - incidentally Roderunner somehow I missed reading your post - thanks for the welcome and info; FWIW the Comodo I have is FW only not AV.
    I guess this can be marked as resolved....
    Diane, have you read this article re Comodo ? http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...o-firewall.htm
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Diane, have you read this article re Comodo ? http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...o-firewall.htm
    Hi Roderunner I hadn't but I have now, and have applied the recommendations. Thanks for the useful link!

Incidentally, I have in the past (and again now) run the GRC Shieldsup tests on my system - I get full marks for everything - the single exception is that since installing a router on my system GRC reports I fail the "ping" test but I have read that this is due to the router and that my system itself is secure.

And feedback from my ISP, based on info from a post made by one of their reps on another forum is that the problem lay with "akamai server farms" - you can read the post here if you like: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/220078-*READ-FIRST*-Network-Status-amp-Issues-(DNS-Throughput-and-Latency)?p=5234703&viewfull=1#post5234703
    (sorry if I am unknowingly breaking any rules by posting it?!?)

Regards
    Diane