New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Audacity to record internet radio. I have always before just saved the output to a CD as data in MP3 format.
    I wanted to burn an actual "audio CD" so it would play on any CD player. The problem is that the CD burners do not recognize the wav output. The songs play perfectly in WMP, but when I try to burn an audio CD both WMP and Sonic (which came with this older PC) say that it is an invalid format. I went back and saved at least one song as an MP3 and the burner recognizes the MP3. I would like to avoid having to save them as MP3s and then burn the audio CD because of the loss, I prefer to burn the audio CD directly from the wav file if I can.
    Hopefully this question makes sense and someone can point me in the right direction.
    Fortunately, I still have the original Audacity file for this project. (and yes, I am saving the songs individually as wav - or mp3 - not trying to output this as one huge file.)
    tks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J F Cook View Post
    I use Audacity to record internet radio. I have always before just saved the output to a CD as data in MP3 format.
    I wanted to burn an actual "audio CD" so it would play on any CD player. The problem is that the CD burners do not recognize the wav output. The songs play perfectly in WMP, but when I try to burn an audio CD both WMP and Sonic (which came with this older PC) say that it is an invalid format. I went back and saved at least one song as an MP3 and the burner recognizes the MP3. I would like to avoid having to save them as MP3s and then burn the audio CD because of the loss, I prefer to burn the audio CD directly from the wav file if I can.
    Hopefully this question makes sense and someone can point me in the right direction.
    Fortunately, I still have the original Audacity file for this project. (and yes, I am saving the songs individually as wav - or mp3 - not trying to output this as one huge file.)
    tks
    Hi J F Cook, welcome to The Lounge
    -
    A stand alone CD player can only play .cda files. A DVD player can play .MP3 files burned to a CD R disc.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Download the free version of Media Monkey. . Once you scan you drive for audio files, select the tracks you want to burn to CD. It handles a ton of audio formats, including WAV files. In the Tools menu, select Burn CD. One of the options is to create a CD for any CD player. I do this when digitizing vinyl LPs.

And welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    A stand alone CD player can only play .cda files.
    That's not exactly accurate. Many newer stand alone players also play MP3s burned to CDs or CD-Rs. The better quality models also play WMA files.
    Chuck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck De La Rosa View Post
    That's not exactly accurate. Many newer stand alone players also play MP3s burned to CDs or CD-Rs. The better quality models also play WMA files.
    Point noted for future reference, my HI FI is rather ancient but still in good working order. [attachment=90909:thumbup2.gif]

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Point noted for future reference, my HI FI is rather ancient but still in good working order. [attachment=90909:thumbup2.gif]
    No reason to replace it then! I have an EQ and turn table that are going on 25 years. I replaced the turn table belt about a year ago. Works perfectly!
    Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies, but I guess I did not make myself clear.
    Basic Question: SHOULD I be able to burn an "audio CD" from wav files that I have generated in Audacity?
    When I try to burn it in WMP, Sonic or others, I get an "invalid file format" or some such.
    Is it possible that the wav files, while they play in WMP, are somehow "different" than other wav files?
    Do I need to convert the wav files to some other format before the burner programs will use them to create an audio CD?
    From what I can learn, it would seem that all I need to do is tell the burner program what files I want to burn and it will do it and create the audio CD. What am I missing here?
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J F Cook View Post
    What am I missing here?
    Thanks!
    It could be 'codecs' http://www.filehippo.com/download_klite_codec_pack/ This can be installed for 'Media Player Classic' or WMP. In your case it should be WMP

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I see no reason you would have to have a codec to make this work. What version of Windows are you using? XP SP2 and above should have everything you need built in. I can tell you that I use Audacity to capture audio from LPs and create WAV files, the use Media Monkey to burn CDs using both WinXP and Win7 without any errors. You might also try CDBurnerXP, it supports burning WAV files also. Even so, Sonic should be fine for what you are trying to do. I guess trying the codec pack would be worth a shot, but it seems odd to me that you would have to add it.
    Chuck