New Lounger
    Thanks
    After deleting and un-innstalling all other graphics card drivers, the installation for the ATI Radeon 7000 PCI card still fails on my Dell Dimension 2400 PC. I have installed the same card on two other identical systems, but mine was the guinea pig, and I may have failed to delete something originally.

At the last attempt, after using Driver Sweeper, and going through all the removal and uninstall of past attempts, the ATI installation told me that the driver is the wrong one for my hardware. I am using the installation disk that came with the card. It worked on two other identical systems.

After I click 'Finish', even though it tells me the installation failed, the video card will work until I try to do something on my second monitor. Then the systems freezes completely. I do notice that the IRQ for the video card is set at 16 which is also used by another device. I'm going to try plugging the card into a different PCI slot and see if it makes any difference.

I have read some posts that indicate that it may help to un-install .NET, since there may be a conflict with more recent versions. I think that only applies to the Catalyst Control Center. It sounds kind of drastic -- I can do without the control center.

If anybody has overcome this problem, I'd love to hear from you.

Bill

Thanks
    Try downloading the latest driver from here: http://www.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx

Jerry

Thanks
    Bill, if your sure all old drivers for ATI are uninstalled correctly, disable your Anti Virus before installing.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but the ATI card is working right now.

Instead of logging on with my network/domain user, I logged on as administrator to the box. I also disabled the anti-virus. Even though my domain user has administrative rights to everything in the computer, sometimes there are some things that don't happen just right unless logged in as a local user.

When the installation finished, it still gave me the message about not being able to find a file; but this time there was no warning in Device Manager about the adapter. So I re-booted and logged in as myself. It hasn't crashed yet.

Interestingly, the audio, video, and network devices all use the same IRQ. I don't know how they don't conflict, but it hasn't frozen yet.

Thank you.