New Lounger
    Thanks
    On a new system I put together I installed two drives. A WD 500 GB on SATA 0, and a Seagate 500 GB (mounted in a removable rack but not powered on) to SATA 1. Prior to turning on the second drive, the WD drive was listed in the Disk Management window as Disk 0 (I know, it was the only drive in the system). After installing the Seagate drive, the Seagate is Disk 1 and the WD is still Disk 0. On the next reboot with both drives powered on the drive assignments in Disk Manager are: Seagate Disk 0, WD Disk 1 although the WD is still the boot drive, its just listed second.

Prior to this, I had thought that SATA 0 would be Disk 0 and SATA 1 would be disk 1 and so on. This is obviously not the case. Does anyone know why?

Thanks
    Joseph, could it be the names of your drives, there normally listed alphabetically.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    I just got and installed a new SSD for my computer's primary boot drive recently and the drive position listed by Windows 7 drive manager shows it as HDD 5.
    I know my provious boot drive was listed as HDD 0 and my BIOS is reporting the new drive as HDD 0 as well. I have 6 internal drives total.
    I'm not sure what the deal is here and like Joseph, would be interested in why this is so.

My most prominent change was switching from IDE to AHCI prior to the SSD installation and unplugging a few other drives
    in order to change a fan and blast some dust out of the system. But I have maintained the order of drive assignment on the mainboard.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Joseph, could it be the names of your drives, there normally listed alphabetically.
    Thanks for the input!

No that is not it. I just put a Hitachi drive in place of the Seagate, and the WD is still Drive 0 even after rebooting.