New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I installed Windows 7 64-bit I only created an administrator account - I admitt this was a silly mistake.
    I now want to add a new Limited User account and give this account read, write and execute permission to some programs - eg Office, Firefox, Thunderbird etc while allowing the user to share customisations, browser profiles and email accounts.

How do I do this efficiently?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There's a lot you can do by setting the local group policy. There's tons of articles like this;

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=1014

Just do a search for Windows 7 user policy or Windows 7 local group policy

Use caution with the policy editor as you can lock your own self out of Windows if you're not careful, in addition to other unintended results.
    Do your part!!! Report SPAM to http://www.spamcop.net/

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    A couple of things.

A user in Windows 7 that is a member of the administrative group does not have the same "I can do anything" permissions that were the case in XP. Yes, that user can do more than a "normal" user but must still use "run as administrator" for some activities and must still respond to UAC prompts to change files in restricted folders.

If you really want a "Standard User" account, try creating another account as a member of the Administrators group. Then change you current account to be a standard user. The new admin account would not have all the customizations that your current account does but if you use the current account for your daily activity you can probably get by on the few occasions when you need to login to the admin account. You'd only need the admin account for those very few isolated things which you can't get installed or updated in the standard user account.

I'd recommend that you even have a third account that is in the Admin group which you would only use if the other two accounts became inaccessible.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Bender and JoeP.
    I am running Windows 7 Home Premium - gpedit is not available in this version.
    I will have to try JoeP's suggestion.