Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a legacy app (5250 emulation) that would not run past WinXP. Hooray, they just updated their software but only to 32 bit Win7. So I'm looking to buy a Win7 PC to try out the updated version of the app. Just when I thought my problems were over, I find 32 bit is getting scarce.

Is it possible, to buy a new PC with Win7 64 bit and do a clean install to Win7 32 bit using the OEM dvds included with the PC?

Is it possible, to buy a new PC with Win7 64 bit and do a clean install to Win7 32 bit using Win7 dvds the manufacturer forces you to create after you get your computer?

Is it possible, to buy a new PC with Win7 64 bit and do a clean install to Win7 32 bit using a full retail version of Win7, but using the license keys that came with the computer? Could I possibly buy just one full retail version of Win7 and then use that dvd to replace a 64 bit win7 with the 32 bit Win7 on multiple PCs using the license key from each PC? I don't see how this could possibly violate the licensing, but I sure would like to know it would work. We have 30 to 35 PCs in this situation, all still running XP. We need to move on down the road even if it is only to 32 Win7.

thanks -

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Probably not. Most OEM disks only have the installed version on them. In fact most PC's don't come with disks, only recovery partitions. You have to create a Rescue Disk yourself. Also in the OEM environment, the key only works on the bitness version it was originally created for and on the actual PC it was created for. In OEM the key follows the actual PC, sorry.

The retail versions of Win 7 include both a 32 Bit and 64 Bit disk, but only one or the other may be installed at any given time. You can move from 64 Bit to 32 Bit with a clean install. However the key will only work with one PC. You would need licenses for each PC. I believe MS has volume licensing discounts, but have never explored this.

If you have retail license keys for each PC, then you only need one installation disk to install Win 7 on however many PC's you have keys for. Unless the DVD becomes damaged it should continue to work for all PC's. You may be able to copy the DVD onto a blank DVD to have a backup copy of the original disk.

Many, if not all, 32 Bit apps work on 64 Bit PC's with Win 7 64 Bit installed. There are 2 separate Program folders, a 32 Bit and a 64 Bit, and the app is placed in the correct folder upon installation. Have you checked on a 64 Bit PC/OS to see if your 32 Bit app will work? it might just work as expected without reinstalling all OS'es on each PC.

In summary: OEM licenses only work for the exact PC and OS they were produced for. Retail copies will allow installation of either 32 Bit or 64 Bit version, not both. The same disk can be used as long as you have enough keys for each PC. Youe 32 Bit program may actually work even with a 64 Bit version of Win 7 installed on a 64 Bit capable PC.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As long as versions match (Pro to Pro or Ultimate to Ultimate, or Home Premium to Home Premium, etc.) it should work to use a retail version to install and the box key to activate unless the OEM has done something to tie the key to thier custom install (with all the junkware included).

Nothing wrong with 32-bit, most software is written in 32-bit and there is no need to or push to write 64-bit by and large since its easily accomadated in a 64-bit system (in fact, are you sure your software won't run on a 64-bit system?). 3.5 gigs of RAM is more than enough for the vast majority of users...and using a boot drive that's say 3 terabytes (limit is 2.19 for 32-bit), well, is that a good idea when a smalller SSD for the OS is just the ticket these days for a blazing fast booting system? And if XP is still a part of a working local network, 32-bit 7 is so much more compatible and easy to integrate and share with XP peripherals and a few other compatiblilty issues that many obstacles are avoided there, and for me, 64-bit 7 has to make asthetically displeasing accomodations for both 64-bit and 32-bit software that also adds to the complexity of an OS.
    So for me, having a few extreme capabilities possible in the 64-bit version that I will never use isn't useful to me in the least, and when they are not important, 32-bit is the definitely the sweet spot.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Also in the OEM environment, the key only works on the bitness version it was originally created for and on the actual PC it was created for.
    I forgot about that part, I'm sure you could get by that wtih a "hardship" story to Microsoft to get activated but not with 30-35 PCs.

Thanks
    I would try your app on a 64 bit system, as most 32 bit apps do run very well in the 64 bit OS. Just as most 16bit apps run well in a 32 bit environment.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    You should not have any difficulty whatsoever purchasing a 32 bit Windows 7 computer, all you need to do is visit Dell, HP, or Lenovo websites.
    If your doing your shopping in person at a store then talk to the staff, if they will not accommodate you, then simply take your business elsewhere.
    If your planning on purchasing online, then visit multiple sites. Many will alow you to pick and choose parts and operating system versions, and that include the bit rate as well.

If your planning on purchasing cheap ready made OEMs then you will be stuck with whatever they have to offer. Avoid these at all cost.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    I second RussB's suggestion. I have yet to find a 32 bit app that won't run properly on my Win7 x64 machine.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    As long as versions match (Pro to Pro or Ultimate to Ultimate, or Home Premium to Home Premium, etc.) it should work to use a retail version to install and the box key to activate unless the OEM has done something to tie the key to thier custom install (with all the junkware included).
    That seems to be the majority opinion and thanks to all who replied. Seems like to me it should work.

Actually, I was in the middle of placing an order for 10 XP Pro/Win7 Pro downgraded boxes when I got the notice about the new 32 bit Win7 version of my app. So I'm thrilled to have 32 bit Win7. Another hour and I would have been stuck with 10 inferior boxes. The same Compaq with just Win7 Pro, no XP, is $30 cheaper, has more ram and more hd. Guess it's cheaper without 2 OS licenses.

thanks -

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    You should not have any difficulty whatsoever purchasing a 32 bit Windows 7 computer, all you need to do is visit Dell, HP, or Lenovo websites.
    Yeah, that's what one would think. But I also must have a full height PCI slot. That's the original PCI slot, not the new mods. Compaq and Lenovo are about the only places to find those. I went to Compaq Business, that's where all I saw was 64 bit Win7. I'be been a long time supporter of Lenovo as I've always bought IBM brand PCs, but have you seen the latest keyboard they ship with their computers? Awful. And IBM always had the best keyboards.

But mainly I was worried about a couple of years down the road when I get around to replacing PC number 30. I'm a one man IT dept and it takes me a while to handle day to day operations and implement changes.

thanks for the reply

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rui Ribeiro View Post
    I second RussB's suggestion. I have yet to find a 32 bit app that won't run properly on my Win7 x64 machine.
    Without trying it out, I'd be willing to wager that this is one. Why else would the manufacturer explicitly state in their documentation that "this is for 32 bit Windows only"?

When and if I do have to buy a 64 bit Win7 computer, then I will certainly try it out before doing a clean install to 32 bit. And maybe by then the manufacturer will have upgraded to 64 bit. Who knows?

thanks for the reply -

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Maybe. Just saying that trying it wouldn't be bad. Sometimes manufacturers say that because they actually haven't tested the app thoroughly on other systems. That may also mean they won't support it, unless it is used in the recommended OS, and if that is the case, it's up to you to make a decision on how to use it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Old Timer from another old timer,

I didn't see anyone here mention XP Mode in Windows 7 Pro. Like you, I'm also the sole IT guy for 35 computers at a local non-profit organization. I recently upgraded 15 computers to Win 7. The director uses a donor database report generator that only runs in XP, so I installed XP Mode on her system, and she can still access her application directly through a shortcut on the Windows Desktop that I set up for her. XP Mode is a virtual PC running under Win 7 Pro/Ultimate, and is a free download from Microsoft. More info is at: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...indows-xp-mode. For what *I* needed, it works the berries!

Cheers,
    Phil Heberer

Thanks
    My PC runs WIN7 Pro 64bit. I set-up Virtual XP mode and use it to scan pictures and documents on my 1999-era Epson 1200U scanner which doesn't have (nor will ever have) a WIN7 64bit driver. I also loaded the Palm desktop software for my Palm M501 palm pilot which also doesn't and won't ever have WIN7 64bit compatability, which works just fine.
    "A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." – Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks
    It also seems from everything I have read that apps that do not work on Win 7 64 Bit were actually 16 Bit apps that worked on 32 Bit XP PC's. I have yet to find a 32 Bit app that does not work on my 64 Bit PC, but then again I have not tried all apps. I do not use XP Mode, but have heard from many that this app works very well on Win 7 64 Bit to allow many 16 Bit apps to run. XP Mpde was originally designed for business becaue it is very cost prohibitive to change all older apps in addition to the OS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a new Win7 64-bit computer and an old HP ScanJet 4970. HP does not have a driver available for Win7 for this scanner, but I installed their Windows Vista 64-bit driver, based on a comment I read somewhere in this or another thread. It installed into the (x86) program folder. I clicked the "this installed successfully" option in the window warning that it might not have installed properly. I successfully scanned a photo using Irfanview acquire TWAIN image. I have not yet tried to install HP Photo director which I used on my XP machine, but am pleased that I don't have to trash my vertical see-thru scanner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast