New Lounger
    Thanks
    Not having any problems now but I thought I'd post an issue I was having, with a solution that worked for me. Seems other people have had issues with this on occasion however, I ended up with a pretty simple solution and a Lounger suggestion about using Windows Easy Transfer in another post might have made it even simpler.

Over the last couple of weeks every now and then I'd get logged into Windows (Win 7, 64 bit Professional) with the default user account. I'd get a message like this: "Preparing your desktop" and after a bit of a wait "You have been logged on with a temporary profile". Windows worked okay but of course my mail program wasn't set up, neither was my browser, desktop wasn't mine, nothing in 'My Documents', etc.

After trying to get things working I'd give up, go to my last Restore Point and after that had all finished, everything worked fine. That's how it would be for a few days, then it would happen again. Obviously something was messing things up but I didn't really have time to look at it so I very lazily managed things this way. Then one day I went to do the 'restore thing' only to find Windows had no restore points for me to use. So, no restore point, ages since I'd done a back up (did I mention I was lazy?) and no access to 'my' computer.

I hit Google and came across this little beta program called Reprofiler .

VERY beta, a little rough around the edges but it did the job for me very quickly. For some reason (probably to do with the corruption of my user profile) I lost my profiles to Thunderbird and Firefox however, everything else was there. I got those back using the -profilemanager switch for each of them but I was wondering if I'd used Windows Easy Transfer whether I'd have got them back up and running quicker. I guess that wouldn't have worked if my profile was completely hosed but as it is now, everything seems to be working fine.

I haven't actually found out what upset my profile in the first place but at least I've got a way to get back into my environment relatively quickly. Investigations into the root problem continue (possible causes; moving 'my documents' folder to a network drive that occasionally loses connectivity and gets a new drive letter when it comes back up, recent installation of a couple of different bits of software, storm season here messing with my power, a trojan that snuck onto my system from my wife trying to find a picture of a big mustache (we've just finished 'Movember' here... if you're an Aussie you'll know what I'm talking about), full moon just passed, dawning of Aquarius....)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You definitely want relocated system folders to be found every time, so to put them on a networked drive is a bit extreme

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This behavior (logging in and finding you have a temporary profile) is very common in Win 7 (and even Vista). It was even discussed in an earlier post on the lounge.

The typical fix is to log out and back in. This fix has work for me almost every time. The one time it didn't work a simple reboot fixed it. As far as I can tell, Explorer is unable to open the profile files for some reason (being scanned by anti-virus?) and that causes this issue. I have found that if I wait 5 or ten seconds after the login prompt shows up before attempting to log in that I don't run into this issue as much.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    You definitely want relocated system folders to be found every time, so to put them on a networked drive is a bit extreme

Yep, seemed like such a good idea at the time. Now I know better. It was just a desperate attempt to deal with the 'system disk that ate New York'... it just kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger...

One day, it's all going back where it belongs.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Johnson2191 View Post
    This behavior (logging in and finding you have a temporary profile) is very common in Win 7 (and even Vista). It was even discussed in an earlier post on the lounge.

The typical fix is to log out and back in. This fix has work for me almost every time. ...
    Yes I did read about that. It wasn't working for me though. Always went back to a black desktop and almost no icons.