New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have installed Office 2010 Home and Student on my laptop and deleted the Office 2007 Trial version that came installed on the machine. I also have Open Office installed as well.
    When I attempt to set Word and Excel 2010 as the default programs for documents and spreadsheets, these programs do not appear in the list of available programs in Control Panel.
    I can start new documents and spreadsheets without a problem, but I cannot get the file associations to recognize that the programs are there.
    How can I do this?

Thanks
    What I usally do is Right click on the file and then pick OPEN WITH and then choose pick choose the defaul program the program...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What do you mean by "these programs do not appear in the list of available programs in Control Panel"? Where in Control Panel are you looking? Under "Programs and Features?" If so, the only thing that shows up there is "Microsoft Office 2010", neither Word nor Excel will show up separately.

Thanks
    I'm talking about the file you want to open not the program.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Young View Post
    I have installed Office 2010 Home and Student on my laptop and deleted the Office 2007 Trial version that came installed on the machine. I also have Open Office installed as well.
    When I attempt to set Word and Excel 2010 as the default programs for documents and spreadsheets, these programs do not appear in the list of available programs in Control Panel.
    I can start new documents and spreadsheets without a problem, but I cannot get the file associations to recognize that the programs are there.
    How can I do this?
    Hi Charles, and welcome to the Lounge! If you are using Windows 7, have you looked at Control Panel > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program? Just select an extension and click the Change program.. button. Works the same in Vista. In Windows XP, open Folder Options > File Types tab and view the registered file types. You can change any by selecting the extension and clicking the Change button. You can also input new file extensions and associated programs.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, that is the problem I am having. When I right click on a document and use the "open with" menu, neither Word nor Excel appear in the list of available programs.
    When I go to "Control Panel/Default programs/associate a file type....." again, neither program appears. When I search for the programs, I get sent to something called the "application visualization handler" instead of the program itself.
    I checked the Program Files, and again cannot find either program listed.
    What the heck did I do here?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Young View Post
    I checked the Program Files, and again cannot find either program listed.
    What the heck did I do here?
    Charles, are you unable to see the Microsoft Office folder under Program Files? If not, are you running Vista 64 or Windows 7 64 bit edition? If so, then you must look for the Microsoft Office installation under the Program Files (x86) folder, because the Program Files folder in 64 bit Vista and Windows 7 is where 64 bit software is installed. The recommended 32 bit version of MS Office is installed in the Program Files (x86) folder.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill