Thread: Older Software

New Lounger
    Delta, Ohio
    I was wondering with my Vista 64 bit system if I can do something to run programs that will only run on a 32 bit system?

Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Never used Vista but I run lots of 32 bit apps on Windows 7 64 bit. I don't know why it would be much different on Vista.
    In Win 7 I need to do nothing special, the 32 bit apps (Program Files (x32) vs. Program Files) are installed in a different directory from the 64 bit apps and run just fine.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

North Carolina, USA
    Hi Ralph, and welcome to the Lounge!

Most folks have the same experience Russ describes. That has been my experience as well. One question though. Are the programs you you believe will only run on 32 bit Windows versions actually 16 bit programs? If so, you may have to install a Virtual Machine app to run them because 16 bit apps will not run in a 64 bit environment. But if they are true 32 bit applications, most will run in Vista 64. The prominent exceptions are programs such as antivirus, firewall, antispyware, and certain utility programs - these would need to be 64 bit to work on your Vista 64 system.

There are some 32 bit applications that Microsoft has determined to be less than fully compatible with Vista. You can check out the Windows Vista Compatibility Center for more information. Even with some of these, you can install them to run in 'compatibility mode'. Just right click the executable and select the Compatibility tab. Sometimes compatibility mode can make the difference.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill