Virtual memory
    Paging file
    Total for all drives 3070 MB
    None for non-system drives
    Recommended 4605 MB

Winxp sp3

[attachment=90927:ata and raid controllers.jpg]

THE PROBLEM

Following[actually at the same time as, but that's maybe another story] the recent deathof a 750 gb seagate IDE drive I had as slave to the system drive, I installed anew 2tb SATA drive on the second from top SATA connector on the board. Formatted, it worked fine, was visible to thedevice manager and accessible through Win Explorer, so I started using it. But later,
    1. on waking the machine from sleep mode the drive had disappeared. I reformatted it and all seemed well till the next sleep-wake. Only a reboot brings the drive back [all data intact].
    2. On shutting down there was at one point a Delayed Write Failure error message.
    3. On booting, a 'bios not installed' messageappears, then all seems to proceed normally.

I do not know to what extent the above problems are connected, but since they all appeared precisely after installation of the new drive, I present them here together in the hope that there is a connection.

I've done some reading and cannot find a fix that seems reliable or certain towork. Some of the suggestions have included

• increasing the size of the paging file
    • updating the bios
    • changing a parameter in bios to auto
    • changing the bios ATA configuration
    • installing new SATA [not RAID] drivers that are supposedly not installed with the rest of the mobo
    • removing Promise Fastrack 378 RAID drivers
    • editing the registry
    • that there might be a problem if there is also an AGP VGA especially if the graphics aperture size has been increased

other advice has been

• NOT to update BIOS because of the risk of mobo death.
    • That there is no need to install any SATA drivers- all should be plug n play

I see from my own observations that a few who edited their registries subsequently did OSclean reinstalls. I'd prefer to avoidthis

My Bios IDE config settings [as many as I hope without knowing might pertain] are as follows

Enhanced Mode

SATA asraid - No

IDE detect time out - 35

Onboard promise controller - Enabled

Operatingmode - IDE

Onboard IDE1394 conntroller - Enabled

PCI IDEbusmaster - Enabled

Legacy Usb support- Disabled

Graphicsaperture size 128mb

Can anyonegive me a definitive fix for this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Hi wslusr, and welcome to the Lounge!

It appears to me that your BIOS is set to run your SATA disk as an IDE drive. I am not 100% certain about this, but I have doubts as to your board's capability to switch to AHCI mode from IDE (or compatibility mode). You might do some more research on your board to determine that.

As far as SATA drivers, SP3 did not add any new drivers to XP, so the drivers on installation of XP are the same as those on SP2, which does not support SATA out of the box. You will need SATA drivers installed, but I would first do a BIOS update and Chipset Device driver update (Chipset Device driver update may include SATA drivers)and any other drivers pertaining to your ASUS motherboard. All should be available from ASUS support. Then you can check your BIOS options to see if you can switch to AHCI mode. If not, download and install SATA drivers for you drive, and check for AHCI support again. If still no joy you will have to stay with IDE mode, which will reduce your SATA drive's performance advantage.

There is an element of risk involved in making major changes on your PC. I would back up all user data files on an external drive or other medium to safeguard the files before making any other changes.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for this advice Gerald. I will go ahead with it and then report.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

All steps taken as advised, all is well now and many thanks again.

Thanks
    Thanks for posting back your success. Am glad things worked out for you.