New Lounger
    Thanks
    Win XP offered the availability of moving the Quick Launch bar to the sides or top of the screen.
    Win 7 doesn't offer that option, or at least I haven't found it. I liked that capability because I could load up the toolbar of most often used apps and utilities.
    In use, all it took was to make a quick jog to the left, and make a selection. This is much easier and faster that the way Win 7 handles it.
    Does anyone know if and how this capability can be implemented

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    By default there is no Quick Launch Toolbar in Win 7.

This Knowledgebase Article explains how to get it back. Once you have it, you can put it where you like just like you used to do.
    Regards
    John

Thanks
    Hi Val,

Here is a great step by step tutorial on how to bring back the Quick Launch bar to Windows 7. After you place the Quick Launch toolbar on the Taskbar where you want it, either on the left or right, you can right click the Taskbar to uncheck 'Lock the taskbar' and move it to the top, bottom, left or right on your screen.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks ever so much guys. That helps emmensly. I did have a Quick Launch but the setup was different and I had to click on the >> in the bottom left corner that popped up the rest that I could then pick from. Operated just like the hidden icons portion at the right end.

Val

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well guys, it appears I had already figured out how to get Quick Launch back because after deleting and following the knowledgebase article, I have what I had before.
    And as before, for some reason I am unable to grab the toolbar and drag it to the left side.

Perhaps that problem has to do with permissions. When I set my machine up I did set myself up as a full administrator, but much to my chagrin, I am unable to do some things, like deleting all the superfluous cursors and all the other junkie stuff that comes with Windows just to make it pretty.

Val Ingraham

Thanks
    I have no problem moving the Windows 7 Taskbar to any of the four positions on the screen after I unlock it. This is true on all our Windows 7 PCs. Are you grabbing the Taskbar, not just the Quick Launch bar when you attempt to reposition it. Once you have the Quick Launch bar situated on your Taskbar, the entire Taskbar should be easily moved to the top, left, right, or bottom of the screen.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    I believe this option was included in an update. When I first installed Win 7 this option to move the Taskbar was not available. Perhaps his Win 7 has to be updated.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Taskbar should move if unlocked, you are also able to customize the look of the Quick launch so that it is exactly like the XP Quick Launch if desired by dragging the resize bars around and by right clicking on a blank space in the Quick Launch and changing options so the name is not displayed with each icon, nor is the toolbar name displayed. For some reason Microsoft decided it had to be labeled in 7...I think we know from using XP for most of a decade, thank you very much

Lounger
    Thanks
    You can also change the location of the task bar by right click open space on desk top then click personalize and in the window that opens click on task bar and start menu and in the window that opens you can set many options including location of the task bar.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the quick launch toolbar but what I'm trying to do in move quick launch to the left side, which was possible in XP. I don't want to move the entire task bar.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, as far as I know, cannot have a detached toolbar in Windows 7, at least not natively; don't know about any third party programs there may be to allow it.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Val Ingraham View Post
    I have the quick launch toolbar but what I'm trying to do in move quick launch to the left side, which was possible in XP. I don't want to move the entire task bar.
    Right click Taskbar un check 'Lock the Taskbar'
    Hover over the divider next to Start button. Left click keeping it down
    Drag to right all the way across the clock, things pop back to left as intended
    If you have more than 1 Toolbars may have to repeat till you get what you want there. Easy just drag them to right as before.
    EDIT: You now have to drag the extra divider back to end of Quicklaunch.
    Lock toolbar afterwards and opening new items in Taskbar won't push the Quicklaunch off to short form

I use an autoit script to do this