Thread: Customization

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In Windows XP I was able to customize the size and colour of desktop menus and font types. Also the desktop items and font size. When you clicked on the desktop it eventually took you to a setting you could tweak for hours. Is there an equivalent in Windows 7? TIA

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try control Panel and it has everything

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In Window Color and Appearance under Advanced appearance settings..., there are pretty much all the settings available that there are in XP, BUT, themes are more the course than ever so they only work if 7 is in Basic theme or one of the ease of use themes. If you really like to tweak appearances, and its not so much in 7 yet as it is in XP but its getting there, try out Windowblinds and other Stardock products, which allow modification of Aero themes.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was thinking the same thing as Bryon in regard to recommending Stardock. They've got some pretty neat tools for customization. Do a search on Win7 themes, there are a lot of options available for free also. If you really want to step into "deep waters" so to speak, you can change out the explorer.exe shell with something like the Cairo Desktop or the open source Sharpe Shell. Keep in mind that these are beta and are not for the faint of heart. But they are pretty cool projects and offer alternatives to the standard Windows GUI. I use Sharpe Shell on an XP netbook combined with custom themes and I'm very impressed by it. It beats the "long in the tooth" look of XP hands down. It is however a bit of a pain to configure and it crashed my machine once. The good news is that its just a shell and is easy to bring back the standard explorer.exe.
    Chuck

Thanks
    Here's a link that I'm sure you will like. How To GeekThis link should keep you busy for a while.Happy Hoildays.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    I think this is what you are looking for...
    (Color & Appearances, advanced settings)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. That is what I was looking for and missed from Windows XP.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That is what I was looking for and missed from Windows XP.
    That's what my post pointed to, but as I said, you may be quite disappointed since the settings only work in basic theme or ease of access theme mode.

Thanks
    That's true, the above Windows 7 appearance modifications are very limited.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    That's what my post pointed to, but as I said, you may be quite disappointed since the settings only work in basic theme or ease of access theme mode.
    Personally speaking I am happy with this because I turned the aero function off and the basic seems to be the default if you turn it off. The reason I turned it off is because I primarily use the computer for Photoshop and it behaves - imo - better.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah-ha. Yes it is basic theme then. I go as far up the ladder as CS3 and it seems quite well behaved, but I have plenty of graphics power too (no laptops), Bridge is sometimes not the most well-healed for me.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use PS CS5 and when I say well behaved it doesn't crash or anything like that but I don't like the fly out effect. I read somewhere it is best turned off for PS usage. Probably means more ram is available for PS?