Thread: E-Book Readers

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am looking at the Kindle, Color Nook, Samsung, and the Sony. The free 3G would be nice but not required, the color of the nook is also attractive, but the SD card feature on some also seems to be desirable. is there any advantage to getting one based on android? comments appreciated. multi book format is definately a plus

also has anyone found any good reviews / comparisons of the different readers?

Thanks, B

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I do not have a reader yet but from what I've read if you are a heavy reader the Kindle is the way to go.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are some reviews here.....
    eBook Reader Reviews
    Scroll down the page to see a comparison chart.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When and where you read may be important in considering. I.e., light or dark (backlit or not), handheld or not, importance of color photos or not, battery life between charges, etc. Probably very individulistic criteria beyond the formfactor and clarity.

Thanks
    We just got a Pandigital Novel for $158.00
    Sounded good, colour, touchscreen.

The reality. Its' taken quite a bit of futzing around to work with it. The touchscreen is a bit picky. The Android OS means that apps are few and far between (the android market is for android phones only apparently).

upside - I was really impressed by how light it is.
    the price.

My personal POV. Make sure your ereader supports as many formats as possible.
    You may face disappointment if your books/docs are in PDF format. (this isn't the readers fault). Many or most pdfs aren't set to reflow their text when resized, leading to annoying scrolling behaviours.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Thanks
    Let me put it this way. I purchased a NookColor for myself. I liked it so much, I purchased a second NookColor for my wife. Case closed!

Seriously having a full screen touch pad with color is fantastic. The backlight allows viewing in darker situations. The Kindle has to have an outside light source. The Nook Color comes with 8 GB of internal storage, and is expandable with an SD memory card. I do not envision needing the extra storage space, but who knows what the future will bring. I like the full color web browsing available on the NookColor. Magazines and newspapers have much more realistic looks on the NookColor. One review point in the regular Nooks is the page turning speed. This is no longer a problem. Pages turn very rapidly. Any back light reader will consume battery faster, but with WiFi turned off, I can read continuously all day (without eye strain) and still have battery left. I do however charge my NookColor each night. What more is there to say. Choose the NookColor over all others. it is miles ahead of Kindle.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Hey BOK! Glad to hear you are getting an e-reader: the perfect marriage of literacy and technology, and the best thing to happen to electronics since the invention of the computer mouse!

I personally use the Kindle, and I have to say it is a great reader. Granted, you have to pay extra for a case or for the 3G version, but it has many likable features:

1.) The wi-fi is really good, almost comparable to a laptop's built in wireless card. I can get books downloaded and added very quickly, even when I am a house away from my modem. Imagine how fast 3G could be if you get that version of the Kindle!
    2.) It has a HUGE amount of storage space. I think you can hold at least 15K books on it, possibly more.
    3.) Very light-weight. I usually forget I'm even holding it. (Then again, that might have something to do with the engrossing book I'm reading.)
    4.) The back-light is very appealing, at least in my opinion. It uses the e-ink technology, so it looks like a natural, real piece of paper. This has two benefits: One, it is much easier on the eyes instead of the stark glow of an LED light. Two, it doesn't drain the battery nearly as fast as an LED light, since it requires less energy. Which leads me to my next point. . .
    5.) The battery life is fairly impressive. Between occasionally jumping online via the built-in web browser, downloading compatible content, and simply reading articles, books, etc., I was able to keep the Kindle uncharged for up to three days, and I might have made it last longer if I had just read. Additionally, it works like a cell phone in that you can use it while it is charging.
    6.) Customer service is quite nice. Amazon responds to any questions I have about the device promptly and thoroughly. If you so desire, they will provide emails with the latest releases from the Kindle bookstore on Amazon, so you can always get the newest materials. Amazon's website and Kindle account is also easy to use, and it only took me a few minutes to set up and start downloading books. A handy status bar on the right informs you of the (what else?) status of your downloads.
    7.) Your content is sharable. Computer users and mobile phone owners alike can download Amazon's free app which allows them to read, receive, and share Kindle content, like books and articles. This makes it easier to share your e-book with a friend or family member, something that can be hard to do with e-content, compared to a real book.
    8.) Its compatibility is far reaching. Most, if not all e-reader merchants will offer a Kindle version. Also, if you find websites that offer fully downloadable, completely free, public domain books, chances are also provide a Kindle-friendly version.
    All of these reasons and more provide a strong argument for making the Kindle your next e-reader purchase!

To counter all these strong points however, I do have one criticism: namely, the web-based browser. It doesn't support Flash, and it doesn't have video support. It also has a difficult time loading complex images, so websites that rely on said images (Mapquest is a perfect example) you may find your browser hanging or timing out. And since the screen is an e-ink one, it lacks the capacity to display any colors, so pictures will remain black and white. Still, the lack of advanced browser capabilities must be taken into perspective. This is a Kindle, not an iPad or a laptop! Its primary purpose is a reader, with limited online access to reach the Kindle store and other websites that offer e-readable content. As an e-reader, first and foremost, Amazon hit a bullseye here, and it is in that area where it succeeds admirably, and the price is quite reasonable. If however, you are looking for an e-reader that also provides more advanced multi-media features and in-depth web browsing, then another e-reader would be the way to go.

That's all I have to say on the matter, and you must forgive me for my bias. I've been using the Kindle since September, and I can't say I've ever been unhappy or disappointed with it.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks for all the input