Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Way back in 2005, I was working on a document in Word 97. I came to what was then Woody's Lounge for help with a problem with a document that used outline numbering. Moderator HansV (now known as Slinky) showed me how to fix the problem. URL: http://bro.ws/551688L

Fast forward to today. I'm now using Word 2007, and I'm facing the same situation. The advice I got here five years ago ought to apply, but Word has changed. First, there's the ribbon, and the procedures for setting up an outline numbering scheme have changed. I can't see how to fix the problem.

Here's what's going on. The numbering for Heading 1 is "Part One (Two, Three, and so on), then a manual line break so the title appears under the numbered item. Example:

Part I
    The contemporary environment

Both lines are supposed to be centered on the page. "Part One" does appear centered, but the second line (the title) is clearly off-center. The attached document shows what I mean. The ruler gives no hint of an explanation—no tabs, no indents. How do I fix the problem in Word 2007?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    I mostly skip over threads related to Outline numbering, now known as Multilevel lists, but there have been quite a few during the year. If you don't get a prompt response, try searching for the new keyword (multilevel) and see whether any of those recent threads is helpful.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There are multiple things causing alignment problems here:

First off, the numbering style here wants to be centered, but there are two conflicts with that in the Paragraph format properties of the Heading 1 style: for one, it's set to Left align (so that should be changed to Centered), and also, there's a hanging indent set to .25 inch (which should be set to None instead) - that's what's causing the second line to not be centered.

The next thing that's causing an alignment problem is that you've got a tab character set to follow the autonumber: With an insertion point clicked in the Heading 1 heading, click the down arrow to the right of the Multilevel List button that's in the Paragraph group in the Home tab - click on 'Define New Multilevel List', to display what should be a familiar dialog. Click on 'More' to see the whole dialog. Change 'Follow number with' from Tab to Nothing. Also, change 'Text indent at:' from .25 to 0.

Finally, back in the document, remove the hanging indent from the first paragraph, which appears to be there via direct formatting.

Making all of the above changes should produce headings that center properly.

Gary

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Actually it's the first line that's off. And the problem is the same one Hans helped you fix before. The number (in your case the word "ONE") is set to be centered, not the text. So while you are in the Define new multilevel list dialog (& following the good advice from Gary), also change the number alignment from centered to left.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Pam - thanks for that additional note. I should have read the earlier thread referred to, but didn't before plowing forward! Setting the number alignment from Center to Left definitely does make a difference - although it certainly is counterintuitive.

Gary

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    it certainly is counterintuitive
    Wow! You can say that again! Counterintuitive or not, the problem has now been fixed. Thank you, Gary and Pam!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You're welcome.
    Pam Caswell