Thread: Online Backup

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

Do any Loungers have recommendations for free online data storage for a home office Windows 7 PC?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    How much data?

What is your budget? (Edited later by Joe). Oops just reread the original post about free storage. Well, Microsoft's Skydrive @ http://skydrive.live.com is free and allows 25GB of data.

Joe
    Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    Hi,

Do any Loungers have recommendations for free online data storage for a home office Windows 7 PC?
    IreneLinda,
    Hello...Why not just Image your data \ OS to an "external" of some sort, and not "fool" with on line backups in the first place? There are many Free Imaging software to be had just for the "download" Here's is one http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp I and many other loungers have used this one with success.. Although read the instructions and checkout the "Security & Backups forum" for additional information about "Macrium" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay. "Image your data/OS" puzzles me. Thanks to Joe in the Hardware forum, I've just done a CD backup of the new system using Windows back up. I tried to do a system image, too, but CDs don't have enough space. I do have an external HDD (500 GB), but it is hooked up to the laptop, which was my primary computer prior to purchasing this PC. I read its manual re. imaging and learned that it backs up only data. It does not have 2 places to hook up both computers for auto back ups. Since I was unsure about how to use it for both computers, I went to the online solution.

Can you help further, given all this?

Linda

PS Sorry to be slow with this response but I didn't get an email to let me know you were here. I always set that feature up, but it works inconsistently for me!

PS2 Oops, too. Had missed Joe's reply - he's everywhere! Will check out both his and Fred's links once I get a better idea of exactly what I'm doing!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay. "Image your data/OS" puzzles me.

Can you help further, given all this?

Linda,
    Hello.... Ok I will explain the best that i can . If this sounds like the basics ..i need a place to start as i have no idea of your level of "OS ness" is.
    1. A 3rd party Imaging software, like Acronis (pay for) , Macrium ( free ), etc . will image anything that you want EX: Data only , Your Files , Folders , Or your entire Hard Drive (OS ) everything that is on your system .
    2. These programs will compress the information (data or complete OS) so that is actually smaller in size than it is. This way it takes less storage space, CD's or flash drive , or external hard drive.
    3. My recommendation is not to use CD's ....too many areas that can go wrong with the "Image"
    4. Once the "Image" is made these programs can then recover you data or OS to the exact point in time, that you made the original image.and restore it to wherever you choose ...same hard drive or partition. (on the same PC) ... EX : if your Hard Drive fails and you install a new one,you can place the image to the new drive. Post back as I'm sure you will have more questions than i have answers .... Some of the lounge "Big Dogs" will be glad to help out... me... I'm just a "lounge Puppy" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    ... a Lounge Puppy who can explain things really well! Thanks. I do understand much better now. It sounds as if a clean image would be helpful down the road if this hard drive is corrupted. Given this, I plan to obtain the free imaging software and do a basic image of my OS (that would mean everything currently on this new computer??). Once I have this compressed image, where do I save it? You recommended against CD's (I know they aren't great but I have a ton of blank ones!!). Should I try to figure out how to create a separate PC file on the external HDD and put it there? Or can I just forget this whole imaging thing until I have the PC completely set up (so far I haven't installed any programs aside from getting the wireless internet connection working). I'd put it off, but for the fact that JoeP's helpful How to Set Up New Computer list stated doing a back up before loading programs (I did do a MS back up; that's where I found the imaging back up choice, which prompted this thread!!).

Linda

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Once I have this compressed image, where do I save it? You recommended against CD's (I know they aren't great but I have a ton of blank ones!!). Should I try to figure out how to create a separate PC file on the external HDD and put it there?
    Linda,
    Hello... If you try to place "Images" on CD's ...You run into a problem loading and then reloading them to recover.. Hence the (big) chance of something going wrong. (bin there and got the "T" shirt) Use the "blanks" for something else.....Yes you place the "Image" on separate medium, and you can "Image" your entire OS. An external Hard Drive would be a good choice. When you do an image you are asked "where to place it" ..an what you want to call it by EX: Linda's Backup OS, or whatever you want . do a search in the lounge on "Macrium" there are many tutorials and links to read over. Like i have said Macrium is a free program and i have personally tested it and it works....(some learning curve ) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    .... I do have an external HDD (500 GB), but it is hooked up to the laptop, which was my primary computer prior to purchasing this PC. ........
    Linda - If the existing external 500GB HDD has plenty of available space, use that drive to make images of Linda NEW and Linda Old. After your other programs are installed on the new PC, make another separate image. One of the nice features of the images is, if you have to use an image, it saves a ton of time trying to find and reinstall programs all over again.

Good Luck !!

EDIT: Make new images on a regular basis.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both of you for your clear directions. I'm going to try the hard drive route first since it is here and has enough space - and likely less of a learning curve. Once everything is set up, backed up and networked, then, I'll do more research into Macrium, as it seems having a second back up off site would be a good idea for the business data.

Will post back if I get into trouble figuring out how to save 2 images on the HDD!

Linda

EDIT P.S. Had to put this on the back burner for a while. Did some re-reading of thread and some research on Macrium. Understand better now what the latter does and that I should make images of both the laptop and the new PC, using the compression program. I think I've been confused about the whole image and back up issue. Just now, researching my external HDD manual abut using it for both computers, discovered that it backs up only my personal files, no email, programs, etc.!!

To get everything backed up, you create an image, using one of the data compression programs mentioned in this thread, right? Will study some more and download Macrium to get started. Will post back on progress, too!