New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Santa has promised me a 1tb External Hard Drive for Christmas. I am trying to decide the bennefits/drawbacks of a USB2.0 HD connected to my computer vs an Ethernet HD connected to my wireless router (D-link 655). The purpose would be for automatic backups of files. The computer is a Sony All-in-One (VPCL116FX/B) so upgrading to USB3.0 is probably not an option. Ethernet is faster. Connecting it to my router would eliminate clutter on or near my desk. BUT, would a HD connected to my router be "Outside" the protection of my antivirus? This is a one computer household, although, visiting family members sometimes log on to my wireless net.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would expect your AV program to look at any files transferred via the network, but that may partly depend on how robust it is and how you have it setup.

That said, if you're using the external HD for backup, then any files sent to it should have already been virus scanned. I really don't see a concern.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The only way that the connection over the network will be faster is if you are at full GIG speeds on all connection points. If anything is limited to 100mb, it will be much slower than USB 2.0.

I do not see any big security advantage of having the drive connected locally as apposed to network based.

The cost of a network drive will be considerably higher than a comparable USB drive.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Good points. I use Norton Internet Security.
    Thanks,
    Davis