New Lounger
    Thanks
    After installing SP3 in a XP machine, Microsoft update does not work. It says that cannot access the page and that there is an error 0x80090008. The windowsupdate.log seems to indicate that this is a synchronization error. I have looked all over the web but no solutions are available.Automatic updates does not work and generates event ID 16.

The machine can be updated using the Microsoft Basic Security Analyzer. Everything works fine except for the automatic update and the updates using the web page, windows update in this case Microsoft update.

I have registered all the pertinent files, renamed the Software distribution folder, check all the services without resolving the problem.

I contacted Microsoft 5 days ago, but no reply.

Windows XP SP3.

Any help will be appreciated.

RB

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Joe

Thanks
    MS really doesn't want you using Windows XP any more. That has become very obvious.
    Rumor has it that errors in updates my be on purpose, to get people to upgrade to Windows 7.

I've seen enough problems with MS Updates in the past few months to give weight to that rumor.
    So what I've done and I suggest (it's only a suggestion) to others is to shut off Automatic Updates
    and just enjoy XP without all the hassles of fighting with the MS Updates.
    XP will run just fine without any updates at all.

Most of the updates from MS over the past few years have been to patch the security holes in I.E.
    So, stop using I.E. and you won't have to worry any more about those security holes.

I use Firefox exclusively and never worry again about I.E. and its security problems.

Cheers Mates and Happy New Year!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Who View Post
    MS really doesn't want you using Windows XP any more. That has become very obvious.
    Rumor has it that errors in updates my be on purpose, to get people to upgrade to Windows 7.

shut off Automatic Updates
    and just enjoy XP without all the hassles of fighting with the MS Updates.
    XP will run just fine without any updates at all.

Most of the updates from MS over the past few years have been to patch the security holes in I.E.
    So, stop using I.E. and you won't have to worry any more about those security holes.

I use Firefox exclusively and never worry again about I.E. and its security problems.
    Hello "Doc"
    Glad you have set the "Flux Capacitor" to 2010 and dropped in to comment . It's scary... but it almost sounds like something i would have said ...but i no nothing about "XP",or i would have. Be prepared to take a "Woopin" for having the audacity for posting something against the "sacred cow" (MS for all the rest of you) I have an extra helmet if you need one as i take frequent beatings at the hands of the "Softies" for posting such .... I applaud you Best .... Regards Fred

PS: This is also my recommendation for ALL other OS's... If it's working ...Don't mess with it by applying Patches and Updates..."P\U's" ( not talking security)
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your suggestions.

I have been in touch with Microsoft but nothing they have suggested worked either. Their last suggestion was to reinstall SP3 which I did . The reinstalled SP3 did not allowed windows xp to boot completely, it start to boot, then goes to a black screen and that is the end. Not even a BSOD.

I recovered the machine whit an image I have made with Macrium Reflect. Apparently nobody knows what the error 0x80090008 is and what it is causing it.

I will follow your advice and forget about the upgrades and patchings.

Thanks

RB