New Lounger
    Thanks
    My O/S Is Windows XP SP3 32Bit and Windows Automatic Updates set at "Notify me but don't download or install them"

The updates I am having problems with are for MS Office 2003 SP3 and they are as follows:

Security Updates: KB974554 - 925051 - 976382 - 981716 - 980923 - 2293428 - 980373 - 982122 - 947319 - 9453973

Updates: KB978551 - 907417

I tried using the MS Update website to manually install each one but still got "failed". I then noticed when I click on the update on the website it shows Download Size 0 kb Download 0 kb

Any answers please?

Thanks
    Microsoft provides Windows Update support free of charge here: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...direct=1&sd=gn

I've used it in the past for tough update problems and it has worked well. There is an approximately one day delay between emails. Thye usually can fix the problem in one or two emails.

Jerry

Thanks
    Hi JollyJoe, delete IE browser history etc. turn off your firewall and try updates again.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Witalka View Post
    Microsoft provides Windows Update support free of charge here: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...direct=1&sd=gn

I've used it in the past for tough update problems and it has worked well. There is an approximately one day delay between emails. Thye usually can fix the problem in one or two emails.

Jerry
    Thanks for the recommendation. Contacted MS and have had a reply. Completed the suggestions but no change in the situation so far. Have sent them a reply and am awaiting their comments.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner

Tried your suggestion but I'm sorry to say no change in the situation

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyJoe View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. Contacted MS and have had a reply. Completed the suggestions but no change in the situation so far. Have sent them a reply and am awaiting their comments.
    See if How to troubleshoot common Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server Update Services installation issues, Troubleshoot Windows Update fails to install updates, or Cannot Update Windows using Windows Update helps.

Do you know what error codes you are getting?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I click on the icon in the system tray on notification of updates are ready for your computer >>Choose updates to download>>click on download>>Get ready to install>>Click on install>>the updates are being installed>>some updates could not be installed.

If I try to install the updates from either MS Update or Download Sites I get "This update cannot be applied"

In the event viewer>>system I get error 0x80070663

In the event viewer>>application I get Error 1635.

I have Googled both of these but have not found an answer as yet.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Error code 80070663 is almost always a sign of registry problems. See windows update 80070663 - Bing for links.

Have you tried downloading any one individual patch from the Microsoft download center and applying it outside of Windows Update?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I have and I get "the update cannot be applied"

Thanks
    Hi JollyJoe,

Have you yet tried any of the possibilities Joe linked to concerning Error code 80070663? Your solution may be in one of those Bing hits.

Check out How do I reset Windows Update Components. This is a MS Knowledge Base article applicable to XP. It contains a Fixit button to do an automatic reset of Windows Update, as well as outlining manual steps to take if you prefer. Be sure to read all of the article carefully, and backup your personal files if you have not already done so.

If you are having problems only with MS Office 2003 updates, and nothing posted in this thread solves the issue, you might consider doing an Office 2003 Repair or uninstalling and reinstalling to see if you are able to apply all updates. Just a thought.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I would like to thank everyone who has tried to solve my problem for me. I have tried ll the suggestions including uninstalling and reinstalling twice. I have spent a crazy amount of time on this and have decided to forget Office 2003 and have bought the Office 2010 suite from Ashampoo which has everything I need. It was on special offer at $14.99 and is working perfectly. I've really got to the end of my tether with Office 2003 and hope you will understand my decision.

Once again. Many thanks to everybody for the time and effort you have put in on my behalf

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyJoe View Post
    I would like to thank everyone who has tried to solve my problem for me. I have tried ll the suggestions including uninstalling and reinstalling twice. I have spent a crazy amount of time on this and have decided to forget Office 2003 and have bought the Office 2010 suite from Ashampoo which has everything I need. It was on special offer at $14.99 and is working perfectly. I've really got to the end of my tether with Office 2003 and hope you will understand my decision.

Once again. Many thanks to everybody for the time and effort you have put in on my behalf
    I can understand your frustration with Office 2003. Just be aware that the Ashampoo product Asahmpoo Office 2010 is NOT Microsoft Office 2010.

Joe
    Joe