Thread: Slow shut down

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I try to shut down, my computer (running XP-sp3) takes many minutes to do so. One time it took 8 minutes to "Windows is shutting down" and several more minutes before it finally did. That is probably about its "new normal." Before this problem it would take just several seconds.

I downloaded and ran Adaware; it found two problems, which it fixed. After that the slow shutdown started. I can't swear that it happened at the end of that session, but it was almost immediately after. (I didn't like that Adaware had added an antivirus program, so deleted it.)

Thanks
    Some programs or processes are holding up the process of shuting windows down cleanly.

You may want to run through a process of elimination of programs you've installed since the time the system shut down process was more responsive.
    Sometimes software behaves strangely too, glitches and minor corruptions here and there. A reinstall of a specific program or set of programs that you
    suspect may be acting up. Too many things to list, from programs to networks, are potential culprits.
    You can check the taskmanager or Sysinternal's Process explorer, may shed some light on what is holding things back.
    You can also try some mild to moderate house cleaning: Go through your list of installed programs and uninstall those you no longer use.
    Run a disk clean up utility like CCleaner or Windows own cleanmgr. Defragment your HDD. Use a mild registry cleaner.
    Getting a second opinion with another AV/AM application might be worthwhile too.

Sometime a clean install, especially if it's been a few years, is a better option. It might give you a chance to start fresh with a set of known good
    working applications that are carefully configured & tweaked to minimze resource usage.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Try a clean boot: ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353 ). If shutdown works OK in the clean boot environment, reenable things one at a time until you discover the culprit. A quicker option would be to perform a system restore to a date prior to experiencing the slow shut down.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Or, there's the old tried-and-proven freeware program called "Absolute Shutdown." It will adjust the system's wait periods to kill all hung processes with a simple GUI. Install, change all the settings to five seconds, then reboot.

http://www.bestfreewaredownload.com/...-fdkhaovf.html

Thanks
    Hi Jim,
    Open event viewer from the start button, type 'event', wait till it loads.
    Click Applications and Service Logs>Microsoft>Windows>Diagnostics-Performance>Operational
    Event ID 100 = boot, 200 = shutdown.
    Check as image.

[attachment=90987:Capture.PNG]
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Hi Jim,
    Open event viewer from the start button, type 'event', wait till it loads.
    Click Applications and Service Logs>Microsoft>Windows>Diagnostics-Performance>Operational
    Event ID 100 = boot, 200 = shutdown.
    Check as image.

[attachment=90987:Capture.PNG]
    Ummm - are you sure? That sure doesn't look like an XP screen (or an XP Event Viewer), and Start-Run-Event does nothing in XP. The XP command to open Event Viewer is Start-Run-Eventvwr.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Whitmer View Post
    Ummm - are you sure? That sure doesn't look like an XP screen (or an XP Event Viewer), and Start-Run-Event does nothing in XP. The XP command to open Event Viewer is Start-Run-Eventvwr.
    Your correct, must be old age.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    I work on so many computers (hundreds, actually) that I don't have the time to play guessing games with them.
    I first minimize the number of programs, TSR's and Services running on the PC and then I install my Quick Shutdown
    shortcut on the desktop. I put my QS shortcut icon right above the START button, because that's were people are
    used to going when they want to shut down their PC.

To make your own Quick Shutdown shortcut, right click on your desktop and select "NEW"---- "Shortcut".
    copy and paste this line into the shortcut text box.

%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00 -f

I say copy and paste, because every character and every space is critical to the operation of this shortcut.

Using the techniques I've outlined here, my own Windows XP-Pro-SP3 PC shuts down in 5 to 8 seconds.

Another factor, not mentioned in this thread is the overall efficiency of the PC in question. When I install my
    Quick Shutdown shortcut on less efficient PC's, the shutdown may still take 10 to 15 seconds.
    It's not the fix-all to end-all for everyone, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

Happy New Year Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    In addition to what's been said in the last post, it's also important to minimize the number of TRS's and Services running in the background.
    By default, way more things run in the background on the average PC, than what most users are aware of.

"The Black Viper" website is a good source for information on what services are needed and what ones are NOT.

A Clean PC is a Happy PC. Get rid of the junk.
    Running window's own Disk Cleanup program in Extended mode is a good place to start, getting rid of Junk files.

Here's the shortcut, to run Disk Cleanup in the Extended Mode.
    %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:35 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:35

When first run, you will need to check off each item you want the program to clean up. I always check everything but
    "setup log" files and "Office Setup Files". Checking either of those can cause problems later.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried the above advice, but it didn't work for me. I have a set of laptops that I maintain, and this one laptop takes about 5 minutes to shutdown. It was reimaged, so I don't think it is a software problem, as other laptops with the image shutdown in seconds. After I shut down, either using the normal Windows shutdown, or the Quick Shutdown shortcut, all activity ceases and the laptop shows a window: Windows is shutting down, then goes to a screen showing only the manufacturer's name, then waits for about 5 minutes. Since it's been re-imaged, it smells like a hardware problem to me, but do you have any suggestions what to do about it?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
    I tried the above advice, but it didn't work for me. I have a set of laptops that I maintain, and this one laptop takes about 5 minutes to shutdown. It was reimaged, so I don't think it is a software problem, as other laptops with the image shutdown in seconds. After I shut down, either using the normal Windows shutdown, or the Quick Shutdown shortcut, all activity ceases and the laptop shows a window: Windows is shutting down, then goes to a screen showing only the manufacturer's name, then waits for about 5 minutes. Since it's been re-imaged, it smells like a hardware problem to me, but do you have any suggestions what to do about it?
    Hi,

Find this key in the registry:

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Session Manager\Memory Management

Check the value ClearPageFile at Shutdown. If it's not 0, change it to 0.

Basically if the value is 1, Windows is erasing the page file before shutting down. This can take minutes. Setting it to 0 will stop it.

HTH

Rui

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    I work on so many computers (hundreds, actually) that I don't have the time to play guessing games with them.
    I first minimize the number of programs, TSR's and Services running on the PC and then I install my Quick Shutdown
    shortcut on the desktop. I put my QS shortcut icon right above the START button, because that's were people are
    used to going when they want to shut down their PC.

To make your own Quick Shutdown shortcut, right click on your desktop and select "NEW"---- "Shortcut".
    copy and paste this line into the shortcut text box.

%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00 -f

I say copy and paste, because every character and every space is critical to the operation of this shortcut.

Using the techniques I've outlined here, my own Windows XP-Pro-SP3 PC shuts down in 5 to 8 seconds.

Hey DrWho, I have a similar Icon on my desktop for Shutdown, Restart, Loggoff, and Sleep. Since I use Win 7 my command is slightly different:

C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00

I noticed one change in that you include a -f at the end. What does this switch do? Thanks.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    The f parameter will shutdown the system without providing any warning to any logged in users.

Every Windows command executable from the command line will give you info on supported parameters if you run it with /?, so this info can be obtained executing shutdown /?