New Lounger
    Thanks
    hi all....I wonder if anyone else has or had this problem. I've had this erratic mouse behavior problem for some time and it's so annoying. First I'll tell you I have a logitech wireless mouse, (optical, usb) it doesn't require any driver from what I've read about it.
    the symptoms are clicking to a page or website usually is normal but rather quick, I guess nothing strange about that but if I click back out it will click two or more times to the original page I was at assuming I clicked into the page or site a number of times, example I click into the local newspaper, go to news section, from there go to local, to world, to obituaries....click out of obits, it will go to the original page or may even click out of the paper all together. This with only one click back. It will be erratic in 'cut and paste'...if I do this action sometimes it won't show the options when right clicking...where it should show 'cut or copy' it won't, and when it finally does, right clicking to 'paste' it won't,but eventually it does (usually). I tried to cut and paste a phone number (local paper ads) and it kept clicking this same number by it's side....the phone number eventually grew to 10 numbers side by side. Like just now.....I wanted to correct the last sentence I just wrote, I right clicked to highlight a word to 'cut it out' and the whole post here highlighted. Trying to highlight one or more words is difficult at times, and at times it will cut something out by itself, like when this whole thing highlighted, I try to correct and highlight just the one word it may cut the whole paragraph out or cut some part out. I can sometimes use "undo" but sometimes that won't show up.
    Anyway....this kind of erratic behavior is hard to correct because it has continued when I've done a complete reformatt (such as with when I got a usb cdrom recently) reformatted and the mouse erratic kicked in. I've tried a bunch of different things like downloading a driver from the logitech site, even though it said it doesn't really need it, there is one I think you can use anyway. But did no good, so I don't bother with it.
    Overall, it's buggy acting like this, is this a familiar problem anyone else ever have, what to do about it? thanks for any help.

Thanks
    I have had the same problem.
    The first time it was a bad mouse button.
    The second time I had conflicting drivers installed.

The the receiver was too close to other stuff that caused interefernce.

I have a microst wirless mouse now and it does the same thingon occasion.

Matter of fact, exactly what you describe.

The left button seems to double click when clicked once.

I still haven't figured it out yet so maybe some solutions will show up here.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    I finally got rid of the wireless mouse and keyboard and went back to USB. No more problems and no more batteries to look for at very inconvenient times. Wireless is a GREAT concept but not worth the side effects, IMNSHO.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, best summed up by...wireless is Magical!...and Fickle! I have 3, 2 work correctly and one couldn't click on the broad side of a barn!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    My impression is that it is actually worsening. I have had quite a few wireless mice but the two latest ones I have are not that reliable. They can be ok for a long while and then start to act up all of a sudden.

I like the freedom of wireless, but overall I am not too happy with the wireless mice I now have. Both are Microsoft mice, by the way.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I have three inexpensive Logitech wireless mice in operation at this time and have had no strange behavior from any. Pricing ranged from $18 to $24. Maybe cheaper is better sometimes. I've never tried a Microsoft wireless mouse.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Administrator
    Thanks
    I actually have had a few wireless mouse from Microsoft. I think the latest are the worst, reliability wise. The previous ones, both bigger for the desktop and portable ones, for the laptop, were a lot more reliable.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, it looks from what I've read here is it is typical, I guess. This is a usb logitech, but plugs into a usb, so I thought it would be considered wireless, uses one AA battery. I think it cost about 20-24 dollars. The biggest annoyance is cut and pasting. But close to a tie is the clicking way out when I only clicked once. Does anyone know if there is a place to check cut and paste operations in XP home? Sometime what will happen is I can "copy" but when I go to paste the option to paste will show if I keep trying a few times. Not always, sometimes it will work right off but too often have to keep trying. I wonder if this is the mouse or what. Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Well what I get when a mouse does not work so well is some lag between moving the mouse and watch the cursor move to where I want it. No issues with copy and pasting.

You may want to check your cpu usage. It can be that sometimes some process is using your cpu to 100% and mouse tracking suffers from that. Right now the beta version of Chrome is playing up so much that I will remove it and install the release version instead, but it's causing mouse issues because it uses a lot of the cpu.
    Rui
    -------
    R4