New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just had to reformat my Emachines E725 Windows 7 64 bit laptop.

What programs that are 64bit compatible would you recommend and why? Links preferred.

Here's my list so far:

1) http://www.roboform.com
    2) http://www.openoffice.org
    3) http://www.tweetdeck.com
    4) http://www.firefox.com
    5) http://www.rarlabs.com/ WINRAR

What should I avoid?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    1) Microsoft Security Essentials - it has a 64 bit version, version 2.0 has just been released - as good as it gets as free AV.

2) Online Armor Free (as you seem to prefer free apps) - great HIPS for extra but light protection against malware. If you care for paid too, I would go with Online Armor ++, for even additional protection.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Yes, just recently I put MSE on my xp/windows 7 dual boot and my laptop.

I was using AVG and Zone Alarm but they are getting buggy and clunky so After reading the good reviews on mSE I got that.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The latest MSE version was released today, so you may want to update yours.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ccleaner (#1) is a FREE temp cleaner and registry cleaner. Macrium Reflect (#2) is a FREE backup program. I would not be without MalwareBytes (#3) as it is one of the best cleaners of malware and is also FREE.
    1. My linkhttp://www.piriform.com/?utm_source=ccleaner.com&utm_medium=redirect
    2. http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp
    3. My linkhttp://www.malwarebytes.org/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here are a few FREE ones....

1) Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
    The Secunia PSI is aFREE security tool designed to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs and plug-ins which expose your PC to attacks.

2) Irfanview
    [attachment=90951:Irfanview.jpg]

3) Sysinternals Suite
    The Sysinternals Troubleshooting Utilities have been rolled up into a single Suite of tools. This file contains the individual troubleshooting tools and help files.

4) Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit
    The Belarc Advisor builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, missing Microsoft hotfixes, anti-virus status, CIS (Center for Internet Security) benchmarks, and displays the results in your Web browser. All of your PC profile information is kept private on your PC and is not sent to any web server.

Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Awesome! Thanks. Keep em coming!

Thanks
    Privacy Mantra 3.0 By CODEODE
    Privacy Mantra keeps your computer clean from online and offline tracks. Most people are unaware of that every web site they have visited remains in the undeletable index.dat file, even after the Internet history and cache has been removed. Your system is also keeping information of executables you run, movies you watch and documents you open. Some of these prints canít be deleted manually as they are locked by the system.
    MSE 64 bit
    Finally a decent AV/AM that is light weight, minimally resource intensive, easy to use, and also highly rated among AV products to spite the naysayers.

spacesniffer_1_1_2_0
    SpaceSniffer is a freeWare (donations are welcome) and portable tool application that lets you understand how folders and files are structured on your disks. By using a Treemap visualization layout, you have immediate perception of where big folders and files are placed on your devices. Treemap concept was invented by Prof. Ben Shneiderman, who kindly permitted the use of his concept into this tool.
    InstallTakeOwnership Reg File
    To take ownership of files and folders you can use this Tweak and it will give you the option to take ownership when you right click on a file or folder or drive.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
    jv16 PowerTools 2010 By MACECRAFT
    A very in depth & powerfull all purpose tool for those with capable hands.
    VLC media player
    Plays just about every video format under the sun.

Event Log Cleaner (Batch)
    One click clearance of the Windows 7 event viewer log
    @echo off
    FOR /F "tokens=1,2*" %%V IN ('bcdedit') DO SET adminTest=%%V
    IF (%adminTest%)==(Access) goto noAdmin
    for /F "tokens=*" %%G in ('wevtutil.exe el') DO (call :do_clear "%%G")
    echo.
    echo Event Logs have been cleared! ^<press any key^>
    goto theEnd
    :do_clear
    echo clearing %1
    wevtutil.exe cl %1
    goto :eof
    :noAdmin
    echo You must run this script as an Administrator!
    echo ^<press any key^>
    :theEnd
    pause>NUL
    Wizmo From GRC
    Wizmo is a multi-purpose, miscellaneous Windows function, "catch all" with a growing list of uncommon but useful features and capabilities

Windows Live Essentials 2011
    Offline installer
    A replacement for OE and a suit of other potentially useful apps.

SIW - System Information for Windows
    SIW is an advanced System Information for Windows tool that gathers detailed information about your system properties and settings and displays it in an extremely comprehensible manner.
    Sysinternals Utilities
    The Sysinternals web site was created in 1996 by Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell to host their advanced system utilities and technical information. Microsoft acquired Sysinternals in July, 2006. Whether youíre an IT Pro or a developer, youíll find Sysinternals utilities to help you manage, troubleshoot and diagnose your Windows systems and applications. If you have a question about a tool or how to use them, please visit the Sysinternals Forum for answers and help from other users and our moderators.
    EASEUS Partition Master 6.5.2 Home Edition
    My new recommendation for a free and easy to use partition editor.
    As Partition Magic alternative, EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition is a FREE ALL-IN-ONE partition solution and disk management utility. It allows you to extend partition (especially for system drive), manage disk space easily, settle low disk space problem on MBR and GUID partition table (GPT) disk under Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit system.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The continuing responses/suggestions demonstrate why this forum is so successful. This thread should be most helpful to new Windows 7 users. Nice work fellow enthusiasts!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This thread in the Lounge may also prove useful for some folks ....
    10 great 'Do these first' tweaks for Windows 7