Thread: Testing Backup

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred Langa (Windows Secrets 12/9 issue) says:
    "I'm not sure what you'd gain by using two different backup methods, Don. If you have a good backup method and know it works (you've tested it to ensure you can restore the backed-up images and files), there's no reason to think that the software in question will suddenly stop working."

My question is How do you test a drive image on a home computer? How can you be sure it'll restore when you need it?
    Bill Treloar
    Rank Magic Blog

Thanks
    You actually do a restore from the Image you create, You insert the Rescue Media or Boot Media or whatever the back up app calls their media you create, boot to the Rescue Media, attach the drive your Image is stored on (I use an ext USB HD) and do a restore. I have never had this fail using Acronis True Image Home 2010 or 2011 in this method.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Neither have I had one fail but if it did, there would be nothing you could do about it because TI wipes out the hard drive before it starts the restore.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    This is a good reason to try this first on a fresh install of Win 7 before installing anything else. Then if it does not work, you are not out much time or effort.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What I would do; drives are cheap, I pull or disconnect the working system drive, put in a new or spare drive of comparable size and run a restore. That way you find out if it works and don't risk your current installation at all.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Acronis up to the 2010 version, has always been very reliable. What I do to be sure is to keep more than one image, and disks being cheap, I keep images in different external disks. Once in a while, after backup, I use the feature to validate the image. So far, images have always validated and every single time I had to use a restore, it worked and on different PCs. Acronis has never failed me when I needed an image restored... of course, total certainty can only be obtained by an actual restore.
    Rui
    -------
    R4